Longevity of add on gear splitters??

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of a newb here, and to the diesel world. Just bought a 93 CC dually 2wd with the 7.3 and a Banks Sidewinder setup that needs a few problems adressed.Been keeping low and trying to learn by reading about others problems, but heres one of mine- the truck had a bad E4OD in it, and I have been watching the local CL for the stuff to swap in a ZF for cheap with no luck so far. What I DO have is a T-19 with an add on overdrive unit that came from an 86 parts truck that I bought at a farm auction a few years back. I bought it with the intentions of putting it behind a propane fueled 460 in a 78 crewcab F-250 back when propane was about half the price of gas. That project has been put on hold for nowand I am kicking around the idea of slapping it all in the 93. Obviously the T-19 is a much stouter unit than the ZF, but how are other overdrive units holding up for people in heavy towing situations??? This one is not a Gear Vendor or Doug Nash, but if I remember correctly, it is called a Dual Range. The former owner told me it was a dealer intalled item. Anyone know anything about this brand, or give me some feedback on the longevity of these type of units in general??

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the dual range is U.S. Gear? If that is the case, it is basically an updated Doug Nash that could be had as an overdrive or an underdrive. Not much use as an underdrive unless you have high gears or only want the ability to split and not have O/D.
Travis..

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a US Gear Dual Range? I'd personally say a US Gear was the best option available without getting into brownie boxes and such. It was almost exactly like the DNE2 boxes but they made some improvements which reduced the risk of electrical failures. I have a DNE2 box and am selling it to another member here. The gears are still great. It won't fit my transmission and I want something else otherwise I'd not hesitate to use it. I'd say it's a much tougher setup than a ZF5 and many times better than any E4OD other than a BTS built one.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
With a claimed rating of 2000 lb/ft torque rating, and a 35,000lb GCWR rating, the Doug Nash and US Gear Dual Range Over/Underdrives are plenty stout for anything a IDI powered pickup can handle.

To put the T-19 behind the 93, you will need a diesel specific bellhousing, and clutch components, but like you said, the T-19/Dual Range combo will be more bulletproof than the ZF with the exception of electrical issues.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah Nick I missed the thing about the 460 bellhousing, that bell won't fit without modification and they are already prone to cracking. So I guess you need to find yourself a diesel bellhousing. I have a T18 from an F150 gasser behind my diesel and I like the way the gears are stepped. I'm hearing that the gas version of the T19 and the old T18s actually are stepped better than the diesel version. I love mine, just need O/D otherwise it's perfect.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
us gear is good but they go between the tranny and transfer case instead of off the back of the transfer like a gear vendors.

The problem with this type of unit is most of them even when shifted correctly with the best fluid shift hard. that cant be good for the drive train.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I've ridden in a truck with a Gear Vendors, and driving mine, I don't see that big of a difference in the "harshness" of the shift of a Gear Vendors vs. a DNe2/US Gear. When the Gear Vendors shifts, you are definitely aware of it, so I really think it is six one way and half a dozen the other as far as shift quality.

Reliability and usability in all speeds, all directions, in 4x4, and engine braking make the DNe2/US Gear more desirable to me, but the GV is not a slouch by any means...

Just my two cents.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ridden in a truck with a Gear Vendors, and driving mine, I don't see that big of a difference in the "harshness" of the shift of a Gear Vendors vs. a DNe2/US Gear. When the Gear Vendors shifts, you are definitely aware of it, so I really think it is six one way and half a dozen the other as far as shift quality.

Reliability and usability in all speeds, all directions, in 4x4, and engine braking make the DNe2/US Gear more desirable to me, but the GV is not a slouch by any means...

Just my two cents.

I would agree with the GV harshness, at least when shifting out of O/D. The upshift is smooth, but it kinda bangs or thumps going back to direct. I've never driven a US gear set up to compare, though I have a Nash C-6 underdrive setup in the garage with nothing to hook it to.
Travis..

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just my two cents.

I agree. That why I really love the US Gear underdrive in the crew cab.

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Big difference in the GV is the complicated hydraulic controls and cone clutch engagement mechinism that are all prone to failure over time. I used to work on European cars and have rebuilt my fair share of Laycock OD units and they are not as bullet proof as people like to think and GV likes to keep parts real close and not cut loose with them if something goes wrong, they want you to send it in and buy a rebuilt unit as if there is something magic about it, well there isn't.The same parts that fit a late model volvo OD unit will work on them and they aren't that hard to rebuild.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Dont mean to kill the thread, just a question.

Is there any chance the Brownie can work with an Auto?

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies- guess I will start planning on swapping in the T-19 and Dual Range box instead of a ZF unless one falls in my lap here pretty quick. I think some here that responded were thinking that I pulled it from a 460 truck- my apologies if my explanation led to that error. It is actually from behind a 6.9, which leads me to my next question- I know the bellhousing will work from the 6.9 to the 7.3, but will the 6.9 flywheel bolt to the 7.3 crank and be balanced properly??

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have trucks with each of the types...GV and USGear. A lot of what has been said is true. For everyday driving, I prefer the Gear Vendor. For heavy hauling and towing, I'd prefer the US Gear despite the fact that it clunks pretty loud when it shifts into gear. I think the USGear unit probably outweighs the GV unit by 200 or 300 per cent. I think it would be difficult to break.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The crank in both 6.9 & 7.3 motors is the same.. Even the part number is the same. There wont be a balance problem either. Both motors share the same internal parts. The cam, rods, oil pump, gears and crank are all the same part numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online