list of N/A to turbo engine mods

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
putting a homebrew turbo kit on my N/A 91 idi. need a hand with a couple mods

1) relocate GP solenoid. I want to do manual control on them, do I just run the (i think) blue signal wire from the solenoid to a grounded switch inside the cab?

2) CDR. Best way to block the hole in the back of the intake where it used to suck clean air from? Then punch a hole in the VC for it to drain thru, and grab fresh air anywhere past the air filter? Wont this pressurize the crankccase when boosting?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You plumb the hose from your CDR to post filter but pre turbo. Boost only builds after the turbo, so you'd actually probably have a bit of suction on the hose.
I would recommend a plate similar to the Banks for on the timing cover as well. No need to mess with the valve cover and you'll also have less oil splashing around. I just built an aluminum plate with a hole in it and a pipe welded to it. Stick it in your mill after you weld the pipe on and mill it flat so it seals. I actually just built an oil catch can instead of a CDR. So far I like it and don't seem to be using any more oil than before.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"in your mill"
hah i wish i had that beutiful tool, or even one i could use. no luck.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks sells the block off plate. Their part number is 42130. There is an o-ring that goes with it. Part number 93150.

How much you ask? Your guess is as good as mine.