Lets talk HVAC

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont see why one cant get a fan from a GM or w.e. blows real hard and shape a box around it if it doesnt fit in our box?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biggest problem in fitting a different motor is the squirrel cage. You want one that fits with reasonably close tolerances so it will be as efficient as possible. I.e. All the air moved is moved into the correct ducts. This is why it is easier to try and find a for motor that fits the OE squirrel cage.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Looks good, but why'd you order two orifice tubes? And I don't see a condenser on your list.

Be sure to get some AC flush and clean that evaporator out really good. PAG oil doesn't mix with R12's mineral oil so it's important to get it all out. If unable to remove all residue you use Ester oil in a conversion as it's compatible with both freons and oils.

The 2 orifice tubes was because I didn't open it up yet so I don't know whats in it. Also I have red were people have used red in place of a blue on 134 conversions.I talked to 4 seasons they said since I didn't have a compressor failure I would be fine with the old condenser. I have the flush. They make a nice flush tool that hooks up to shop air. I am trying to find a cheaper substitute. Anyone have an idea? http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/AC-System-Flush-Kit-P26338C293.aspx

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
The 2 orifice tubes was because I didn't open it up yet so I don't know whats in it. Also I have red were people have used red in place of a blue on 134 conversions.I talked to 4 seasons they said since I didn't have a compressor failure I would be fine with the old condenser. I have the flush. They make a nice flush tool that hooks up to shop air. I am trying to find a cheaper substitute. Anyone have an idea? http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/AC-System-Flush-Kit-P26338C293.aspx

Ah, okay, I got you confused with the OP. He has a damaged condenser.

That flush kit is pretty similar to what I have, looks like a decent price.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Darn, just confirmed the Crown Vic blower won't make a difference, here's why: it's the same part. :oops:
At least for the '80-86 Ford trucks, the part number is the same for '92-2011 Crown Vics on Rock Auto's site.

Also, in researching this issue I ran across a couple of threads where people suggested the voltage to motor was insufficient, one guy even ran his high setting to a relay that provided direct battery voltage to his blower and said it made a substantial difference. Hoping this was the solution I tried a quick test on mine by jumping the blower in the '85 directly to the battery. No difference whatsoever.

So, not resolved yet...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a smaller orifice tube will help lower the evaporator temp. to a point anyway as one thats too small wont flood the evap enough.i prefer the .057 orange tube for our trucks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did the crown Vic blower ,I had a taxi repair shop a buddy ran and a pile of parts. The motor I found is a different OEM number than the trucks. I found a blower wheel that is 1/2 inch wider
And it barely fits. If I ever get a spare moment I'll source it. Might have been a cop car or limo option

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
That's too bad the answer wasn't as easy as that. I wonder if the problem isn't with the blower but with an inefficient design of the air box itself, loosing the velocity created by the fan by the time it reaches the vents?

^^^^ That speculation of mine is looking like the answer guys. I can put some of these rumors to bed now. I purchased a new Crown Vic motor and fan. It made zero difference in output. I couldn't even talk myself into believing it helped a little.

So conclusions:

New blower motor: No difference.

Crown Vic fan and blower motor: No difference.

Debris in HVAC box: No.

Wired blower straight to battery, bypassing switches, resistor, factory wiring: No difference.

All blend doors operating correctly: Yes.

My Dad has a Crown Vic and it's HVAC blows very well, so I'm thinking since the same fan and motor in the truck doesn't then at this point it has to be poor HVAC design in the trucks. :(

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that your evaporator is plugged with dirt, lint,furr etc. My blower works great. I'm in the desert and rarely need high blower to stay cool.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cleaned my whole system out and replaced the blower motor with a brand new one, and it did make a world of difference. The resistor pack had also crapped out.

There was a ton of gunk in there... It was unbelievable that I had any airflow. I just converted the AC and pulled the evaporator out... It had shmutz packed in it deep/bad, even though it "passed" a visual when I had the blower out.

The old heater core had some gunk in it too, but the condensation on the evaporator means that crap sticks to it easily. All of your air travels through there, AC on or off.

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been known to remove the evap,plug it and pressure wash it!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so the ductwork sucks...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

100% of the air passes through the evaporator at a 45* angle, then goes up and out the airbox to the vent plenum, then 90* out to left and right side vents. If you have heat on, it still goes through the evap, 135* left, 90* into the heater core, then 90* out the heater core and up/out to the vents.

Very convoluted paths with restrictors behind the deflectors to try and balance the flow. Blegh

Last edited: