Let's talk EGT...

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is from FTE, but wondered what you guy's thought...

I'm really starting to wonder if the truck is running properly or not...

It get's good fuel mileage (avg 19mpg) and the power seems decent (for a rating of 185/360). The EGT's and the cold starts are what bother me.

All the fuel stuff is less then 5 months old EXCEPT the IP. Which I think is original (I base this on it's grey in color and the injectors I pulled said "2-91" on them).

On a cold start, even on a full 10 second glow (this system is ALL new and working perfect). The truck will puff white smoke on start up (not sweet at all, 100% fuel) and it'll misfire for just a few seconds, then be purring on all 8. I also noticed on a colder engine the truck idles smoother. If I've been running it all day (or a decent amount of time), when I come to a light you can feel it running a bit rougher.

EGT's are a different story. I can EASILY reach 1100 (probe in the manifold near number 8) if I stomp on it from a dead stop. Idle is 350 and driving is around 550-600 at 55mph on pretty flat ground. The only intake/exhaust mod's I've done is the Soup Bowl mod. Everything else is factory. I do notice the exhaust is TINY (compared to a factory PSD truck).

Basically, I'm asking what's your EGT? Turbo or N/A? Does mine seem high? Is the IP the issue? Timing? Lemme here what the IDI crowd thinks!

-Mike

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i am running very similar numbers with a turbo and a probe in the same place, and yes timing can play into it. it wears to the retarded side which is less efficient and so you need more go pedal. i think mine are running on the high side to.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you turned up at all mike? Mine did the same thing when i had it turned up.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you turned up at all mike? Mine did the same thing when i had it turned up.

Nope. I haven't touched it at all. It does roll a LIGHT haze every once and a while if I'm hammer down in 2nd. I actually want to turn it up a little to add a touch more fuel, but I think that'll be when I add the new pump (most likely buying a 93/94 U-haul ebay pump)

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet the PO did. It would be quite rare for a stock idi pump to have any black smoke.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
egt on my turbo'd moosepumped F250 is 400 running light. 500-600 depending on load.
This is flat running at cruising speed.
Light truck WOT from stop to 80mph I can get 900, with a load I'm limited by the EGTs.

I think you just have a worn out fuel system. Replacing a pump and injectors is a huge improvement performance-wise. I think the 100k mile deal is the upper limit.... for great performance, I would go so far as having everything refreshed at 50k miles, but thats my experience.

To "get you by" try advancing the timing a fuzz, meanwhile save up $750 for a fuel system.

best of luck,
Dp

gatorman21218

Reaction score
My IP quit on me this winter. Its exactly as you described. Tremendous white/blue smoke on startup, high egts, hard cold starts. It got so bad that it would not start without the block heater. And the overnight temps were only in the 20s and I had new batteries, cables, starter, glowplugs. Well I got Mel to rebuild my pump and now she runs great!!! However before you condemn the IP you might want to adjust the timing. You say when its cold it runs better right? I gather from that that the high idle is when it is running better? Well when the engine is on high idle, the IP advances the timing also. So I think the IP is pretty retarded.

And if you do replace the IP and it was as warn as mine, the power increase is unbeleivable!!!

BTW the Baby moose (a stock rebuild) can roll soot like a freight train.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
My IP quit on me this winter. Its exactly as you described. Tremendous white/blue smoke on startup, high egts, hard cold starts. It got so bad that it would not start without the block heater. And the overnight temps were only in the 20s and I had new batteries, cables, starter, glowplugs. Well I got Mel to rebuild my pump and now she runs great!!! However before you condemn the IP you might want to adjust the timing. You say when its cold it runs better right? I gather from that that the high idle is when it is running better? Well when the engine is on high idle, the IP advances the timing also. So I think the IP is pretty retarded.

And if you do replace the IP and it was as warn as mine, the power increase is unbeleivable!!!

BTW the Baby moose (a stock rebuild) can roll soot like a freight train.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
egt on my turbo'd moosepumped F250 is 400 running light. 500-600 depending on load.
This is flat running at cruising speed.
Light truck WOT from stop to 80mph I can get 900, with a load I'm limited by the EGTs.

I think you just have a worn out fuel system. Replacing a pump and injectors is a huge improvement performance-wise. I think the 100k mile deal is the upper limit.... for great performance, I would go so far as having everything refreshed at 50k miles, but thats my experience.

To "get you by" try advancing the timing a fuzz, meanwhile save up $750 for a fuel system.

best of luck,
Dp

The injectors are new BB code's. I did that and the return line's at the same time, that helped a bit but I think the main issue is the tired IP.

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your symptoms and numbers are identical to mine. First start of the day I get a nice big puff of white smoke and if I didnt have the pedal down in kinda rattles hard till I goose it. Idle egt is about 350. Running 65 between 780 and 920ish. If I stomp the skinny pedal I can easily hit 1100 degrees. The truck starts like a champ every time I hit the key but the high egt's have me worried. The only difference between yours and mine is on my last trip I got about 12.5 mpg's.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours is also a one ton CC dually. Mine is the "lightweight" 3/4 ton SC LB.

I just fiddled with the IP some. How in the hell do yall reach the passenger side bolt?! It's almost impossible. I see where the shaved wretch comes in hand. I got a few spare 9/16th's around... I was able to find the original timing marks (the pump is deffinally grey too) and I got a big 3/4th's wrench on the IP and tapped a little to the passenger side to advance it. Tightened it back up and will be leaving in a bit for a ride. I moved the IP less then the thickness of the line, so I'm sure I only advanced it MAYBE 1 degree. Better then nothing I guess.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yours is also a one ton CC dually. Mine is the "lightweight" 3/4 ton SC LB.

the f350 and f250HD (all diesel's) are the same platform.
his 2wd crew dually,could weigh less than your SRW 4wd,though i don't know,but its certainly close id bet.

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a slightly rough idle, more like a "skip" every now and then. Replaced pump and it runs smooth now. I'll post my egt's when I get my pyro installed, my glowshift came today.:sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin