Let's talk charging systems.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel lots of misinformation is spreading thru this original post........... But if an alt bearing locks up your dead anyway no matter what system you use...................... we can drive without an alt for many miles but thats not the point.

No, driving many miles without the alternator IS the point. Even limping in to civilization with at least the waterpump turning is better than nothing.

If I had a truck with a serpentine system would I swap it out for a older v-belt system? No. But would I purposely change the v-belt system out for a later serpentine system? Definitely not.

They are not to be used as a battery charger.
First time I have ever heard this before. So if you accidentally leave your lights on all day, draining the battery or batteries down all the way, you can't get a jump start and go home?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if you accidentally leave your lights on all day, draining the battery or batteries down all the way, you can't get a jump start and go home?

Well you can, since the alternator will power the truck for driving. However the large draw on the alt from the drained batteries is not good for it at all, and you should charge them as soon as you're home. The alt is just for maintaining the charge after the large starter draw, not for full recharging from drained.

Amazingly enough, I left my headlights on for a full twelve hours once on complete accident, and came back out horrified thinking I was going to need a jump, but it cranked over and started right up. Granted, it was on fairly new batteries, but still, I was impressed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, a drained battery can be jump started and get you home. The alternater will recharge the battery but its design is not for that purpose. Its to feed all the electrical demands on the electrical system. Every see the kids with 6 alternaters being driven by a serpentine belt. Utube has some od those for views. Of course no hood can cover all that mechanical stuff and its really pretty to look at but being necessary for the audio and speakers.. Maybe not. Its a richy rich thing...
Believe it or don't...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCEg2w4AqVk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
icanfixall;772074remember we only need 7 volts from a battery to operate the fuel shutoff solenoid so we can drive without an alt for many miles but thats not the point.[/QUOTE said:
6 summer days......
that's how long after the flood victim was resurrected before I realized the charging system was NOT hooked up (as in, the alternator wasn't even hooked up) because it wouldn't start
that was on a fresh set of beru's, a new starter, 2 NEW group 31's, no radio or other accessories in the truck, and only daytime driving

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2. You can run a v-belt pulley on a 3g. But be warned, a single v-belt will not let you realize the full output of a 130 amp unit. The single v-belt cannot transfer enough horsepower to charge much over 100amp without slipping. Guess what our old original v-belt alternators are? 100 amp.

this is true. one v-belt will not give you enough grip to get the full potential out of a 3g. i do believe that you can get a double pully for them though. i dont know about fit issues.

yep here you go. best site out there for electrical systems for our fords. http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/collections/alternator-accessories

they also sell alternators, expensive but some of the best out there.

edit: here is his other website. lots of great technical info. even a right up for swapping out he old alternator for a 3g. http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=1

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time the power gird goes down, start up the old 6 alternator monster and wire up an invertor! ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
V-belt or 8-rib serpentine, both have their short-comings.

I have more trouble with the 8-rib serpentine slipping than I ever did with properly tensioned V-belts; a serpentine system can only be as tight as the spring-loaded tensioner makes it.

A few times, I have removed the V-belt from a locked-up alternator and driven a couple hundred miles back home; same for locked-up A/C compressors.

These days, I see just as many shredded serpentine belts laying in the road as there used to be V-belts.

I do like the half-a-minute installation of the serpentine as opposed to wrestling with tensioning V-belts; hence is the real reason for them being original equipment on everything in the last twenty years; serpentine belts save countless expensive minutes on the assembly-line.

As for charging the system, I really like my TRUE 160-amp 110-555 Leece-Neville; most consumer alternators only achieve rated amperage at high engine RPMs.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like the half-a-minute installation of the serpentine as opposed to wrestling with tensioning V-belts; hence is the real reason for them being original equipment on everything in the last twenty years; serpentine belts save countless expensive minutes on the assembly-line.

I can't believe that's the whole reason behind it. They do transfer more power, they do take less room front to rear for mounting the accessories, and I have no proof, but I bet they have less power loss. With all these front wheel drive cars with tight engine compartments, electric fans and huge alternators, I guess they had to do something.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they do take less room front to rear for mounting the accessories, and I have no proof, but I bet they have less power loss.

Do they really? The one on my aunt's F350 has to be like three inches wide. My whole v-belt system width is pretty comparable to the width of her serpentine.

Is that just an exception because the serpentine needs to be so wide for our trucks?

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is really rare for a serpentine belt to fail unless something locks up. Worked on cars for a living for 20 plus years and I don't remember ever seeing one that broke and there was not a reason.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they really? The one on my aunt's F350 has to be like three inches wide. My whole v-belt system width is pretty comparable to the width of her serpentine.

Is that just an exception because the serpentine needs to be so wide for our trucks?

You have to offset the different components and or pulleys since they have their own v-belt with their own groove. If i remember correctly, the alternator is closest to the engine, the power steering pump is a little further away, and the A/C compressor is even further out. A 3 groove waterpump pulley is a lot wider than the serpentine pulley isn't it?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Pic of 3G alternator with V pulley.

Pic of 3G alternator with V pulley.

You must be registered for see images attach

I just swapped the serpentine pulley with the old V-belt one. I lucked out, the pulley alignment was perfect.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awesome. Looking at that and my engine, if you were to loose the vacuum pump, you could almost run double belts with the water pump and power steering. Almost. Have to change things up a little. I need to stare at this a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk