Let's talk charging systems.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is really rare for a serpentine belt to fail unless something locks up. Worked on cars for a living for 20 plus years and I don't remember ever seeing one that broke and there was not a reason.

One thing that will take out a serp belt is the use of "belt dressing" . It will kill em quick and every time.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know, but I had a truck that would squeal a lot, and every time I used the belt dressing, it would stop the squeal, but the belt would come apart within 100 miles every time. This happened til I realized what was going on. I will never use dressing on a serp belt again.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's interesting. There wasn't anything trying to seize up?

Had a failing vacuum pump on a 93 idi (didn't know at the time) used the dressing and it was quite for a day, then started making a hellashish racquet.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belt dressing is bad news for serpentin belts.it ,dirt and rubber dust will pack up in the grooves on the pulleys and throw the belt.usually the can will say not for serpentin belts but people don't listen

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
i went down to the local alternator shop and they hooked me up with a true 160 amp externally regulated alt that came off of an ambulance. Put out near 200 amps on their test bench, I believe it is the leece neville alternator that midnight rider speaks so highly of but not sure

airdale94

Reaction score
i went down to the local alternator shop and they hooked me up with a true 160 amp externally regulated alt that came off of an ambulance. Put out near 200 amps on their test bench, I believe it is the leece neville alternator that midnight rider speaks so highly of but not sure

Good call! Up the amps and keep it factory.

AT: bbjordon
On using the old V-belt pulley on the 3G I used the washer to shim it out from the case as directed on another forum so it wouldn't rub (use locktite on threads). It actually looked and felt like it diddn't need. Alignment was fine. I may try it without at some point since you say yours doesn't rub.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I liked it because it required no wiring besides the 6 gauge alt to battery wire to keep from burning up the little factory one. the voltage reg plugged right in and the pulley fit up perfectly. And the guys did it for me for 250 and help from me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger