LED Bulbs

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was pleasantly surprised at the significant price reduction of LED bulbs. Bought a package of 20 LED bulbs (1156) equivalent for $20.00. Replaced all of the interior lights in camper, wow what a difference!
You must be registered for see images attach

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking to replace reverse bulbs (also 1156) ... shopping around and still on the fence, due to varying reviews ...

Where'd you get yours?

Thank you sir

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On-line, purchase was thru Walmart however they shipped from a company in Seattle called "Yita" LLC. $19.99 for a 20 pack. Ordered on Monday, they arrived on Wed (I'm in central PA) cross country in three days and I didn't pay for expedited shipping!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the same in my cabover camper last year and love it. No more stupid hot lights that melt the housing or wasted energy, I'm on a limited battery for 3 days after all. Plus much brighter, whiter light!

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the same in mine, got the daylight ones, different light to get use to , but a lot brighter and low amp draw/

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Was pleasantly surprised at the significant price reduction of LED bulbs. Bought a package of 20 LED bulbs (1156) equivalent for $20.00. Replaced all of the interior lights in camper, wow what a difference!

Beware that they often overheat and burn out and/or flicker. It seems to ne about 75% fail, while 25% last.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beware that they often overheat and burn out and/or flicker. It seems to ne about 75% fail, while 25% last.
Almost every LED product out there seems to have been designed by bean counters.

LEDs do not like heat. If it's too hot to keep your hand on, it's too hot.

I always look for massive heat sinks and good thermal coupling.

God knows how many LED installations fail because of poor thermal design.

LEDs that should last for 100 years, fail in months.. but they were bright while they lasted.

It pains me to see so many people swayed by marketeers into buying something that should have never been made.

And, yes, I usually need 10 times the quantities of LED emitters that others need... But once I get them in, they run till you take them out. These are great to put in places where maintenance is a royal pain in the ****. These days, emitters are cheap, but labor and time costs a lot.

Either do it right, or find time and money to do it over and over.

For intermittent use, a lot of these designs have acceptable lifetimes, but leaving them on for hours or subjecting them to voltage surges, like alternator load dumps and inductive kickbacks, kill these things.

I often run 100 Watt emitters arrays at 10 watts, as it's in a sign, 30 feet in the air, and a real pain to get to.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought LED bulbs for the backup lights. While a bit brighter than normal, there really isn't that much difference.

Going to have to add some light pods, I guess.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
All but 3 quit lighting on this one. I have another that failed the same way.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! You guys are taking the wind out of my sail! I was of the impression LED's lasted virtually forever? Glad I didn't toss the old 1156's.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy from “superbrightleds.com”

American made, small business and their site shows part numbers for every light in your truck through their vehicle lookup directory. I replaced every running light and interior light in the shop truck with their stuff years ago and haven’t had a single bulb fail.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! You guys are taking the wind out of my sail! I was of the impression LED's lasted virtually forever? Glad I didn't toss the old 1156's.
Unfortunately that's the marketing getting us, but reality is far different. The LED itself lasts a long time but the circuitry behind it not so much, from my understanding.

I put a bunch of LEDs in the lighting in my house, flood lights especially but also a lot of standard socket 60w/100w equivalent stuff. I've had to replace every bulb in 2 years that I bought from Costco, even the name brand Feit stuff.

But I also have a bunch of China special units off Amazon that have outlasted the Feit stuff!! So who knows...

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

Good ones do, but not $1-2 ones. I have a few that haven't burned out like that.

I have a $20ish 120v 18" or 20" LED light bar from WM that's sold as being for under counter but its crazy bright, lighting a huge area when ceiling mounted, and it's warm white, more like incandescent bulbs. It has a 6ft cord and its own power switch on the light bar itself, so it is very useful in a camper. I've been using it a ton for 2 years when on grid/generator and it's still going strong.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use LED arrays like these:

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/10w-led-chip.html

Into my stuff. Most arrays need a ballast driver. Constant current source.

I'm looking for being hermetically sealed, solderable, easy to heat sink ( I often mount using RTV silicone for both thermal coupling and waterproofing ).

I can get em in many colors.

How about a set of bright red and blue LED array chips, strobe light style, in your backup light assemblies...to be used in event of truck hijack? Guaranteed to get you pulled over post haste by any law enforcement officer who sees it. While the guy who took your truck has no idea it's even on!

Oh, incidentally, I run these far below rated power. I will ram 100 watts into a 100 Watt LED only in strobe mode, where I have time to remove heat.

I typically put 2 to 3 watts into 10 Watt chips when I run them all night every night. I have had some running for years now. Using them for yard lights.

The strobe thingie was part of a psychological deterrent to disorient people breaking into houses. The home owner knows what's coming. The intruder doesn't.

I had to build a special ballast driver for that one.

Last edited: