leaking oil pan. any tricks?

Reaction score
I have a pretty good leak in my oil pan. seems to have rusted through in a few areas...and got worse since I added boost.

I know I need to replace the pan, but is there any thing I can use to plug the holes for now?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ehhh. only thing i could think of is drain it real good, then silver solder/braze/weld 'em :dunno. oil/possibly some diesel + fire not always good though LOL

high-temp oil shedding rtv might do the trick too if ya clean it extremely well around the holes. never tried these but could work..

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drained mine out then cleaned the area real good and put good old JB Weld on her, It's been 5 yrs. since i did that!!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
if you need it to get you by......a bar of soap. If not and you want a more permanent fix...I agree with brazing it. Nothing that can't be fixed without a couple coathangers and a torch!

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
My pan had some real bad leaks and pinholes all through it. I drained my oil, scraped my pan with a 1" putty knife, scrubbed it with a mini wire brush and sprayed it with brake cleaner a few times. I then used "fix-it-stick" from the plumbing department at Lowe's(or at any auto parts store) to seal it. The "fix-it stick" is nothing more than a tube of bonding putty that you cut a section off of and mix the outer layer with the inner layer. I made small batches and patched all over the pan pushing in on with my fingers overlapping joints. Before it sets you can wipe it down with water to smooth it out some more. It hasn't leaked a drop since and my pan was REAL bad.

I tried JB Weld and it was too runny and flaked off when oil got behind it. Good luck.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Those fix it sticks can be pretty good. Think about it. They use them to patch plumbing fixtures, I've seen ALL kinds of stuff poured down drains....that putty has to be badass to put up with people's plumbing ignorance.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously the biggest challenge is just overcoming the desire to fix it on the engine. If you get the pan off, replacing it is surely the best option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online