Larger capacity rear tank options?

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a thread a little while back about putting a poly Bronco tank in my truck. The one I had simply will not work for me, so I'm searching for something that will. I know there is a Bronco tank out there that will work, but was also wondering if there is a truck specific tank that might work. I'm looking for something in the 25-30 gallon range, but will go higher if it's available. Also, my spare rides under the tool box in the bed, and I have nothing to mount it to under the truck, so the location of that doesn't bother me one bit. Thanks ahead of time.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Transfer Flow has several options for tanks... But they are really expensive....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a TransferFlo 100 gallon tank computer controlled. Bought off a guy who quit hauling RV's, a yr. old for $500, new they are $1400 computer controlled. Only trouble is, it's $310 to fill it now. Only use it for long trips. Diesel is coming down a little now. By the way they do work great keeping the OEM tank full.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Why will the bronco tank not work? Frames are the same width. Crossmember spacing it the same. Filler neck goes in the same place. Hole for the sending unit is the same. Only difference is that it is deeper and it need longer lower straps.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running a metal bronco tank from an 85 in the back of mine....crossmember size is slightly off, but using a piece of angle iron for the back one is a straight-forward fix, and you can use the bronco skid plate as well. Pulled mine from a bone yard, brought it home and cleaned it up....it was money well spent for traveling. The next thing I am looking to do is swap to a dodge midship tank...combined that should give me just over 70 usable gallons under the bed.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why will the bronco tank not work? Frames are the same width. Crossmember spacing it the same. Filler neck goes in the same place. Hole for the sending unit is the same. Only difference is that it is deeper and it need longer lower straps.

Frames may be the same width, but the crossmember spacing is NOT. The skidplate mine came with is off by a good 6" of being able to bolt up. Also, the hole for the sending unit on mine is NOT the same. And the Bronco tank is deeper than it is wide, so it really hangs down. The Bronco tank I have absolutely will not work.

I did some research last night, and came up with something interesting. Spectra Premium has a tank, part # F26C that is listed for a 1984 F350 with a 6.9 Diesel. Rockauto has them for around $130, and I guess it comes with spacers to utilize the stock straps. Once I sell the wheels and this Bronco tank I have, I'll pick the F26C tank up and give it a shot. BTW, the capacity is 38 gallons. It's simply a deeper tank according to the specs on their site.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course with 92-gallons on board, it is not an issue for me; but, my stock 20-gallon rear tank hangs way down there.

The only way I can see another 20-gallons capacity is for it to hang down again as low as it already does.

I would worry of dragging it over something and knocking the bottom out. :eek:

There are all manner of good fuel-tanks available from various sized bigger trucks, both rectangular and cylindrical, anything from 30-gallons to as big as one could imagine.

All of those shiny after-market tanks are way over-priced for what they are. :)

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Frames may be the same width, but the crossmember spacing is NOT. The skidplate mine came with is off by a good 6" of being able to bolt up. Also, the hole for the sending unit on mine is NOT the same. And the Bronco tank is deeper than it is wide, so it really hangs down. The Bronco tank I have absolutely will not work.

I did some research last night, and came up with something interesting. Spectra Premium has a tank, part # F26C that is listed for a 1984 F350 with a 6.9 Diesel. Rockauto has them for around $130, and I guess it comes with spacers to utilize the stock straps. Once I sell the wheels and this Bronco tank I have, I'll pick the F26C tank up and give it a shot. BTW, the capacity is 38 gallons. It's simply a deeper tank according to the specs on their site.

A bronco tank bolted right in place of my stock 19 gallon tank in my 97

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have pics somewhere, the bronco tank is about 2x as deep as the stock one (so you lose the ability to carry a spare down there, but clearence is about the same as if you had one...its not a whole lot lower than my hitch). And IIRC the difference was about 6" on the crossmembers. On mine the openings for the sender/fuel feed was slightly different, but with a little modding I was able to make it all work farily easily.