lack of power

JPdrvinmylfawy

Reaction score
ok so ive had the truck for about 2 years and had little to no problems ( knock on wood ) but finally towed a trailer with it over the weekend granted the truck i was towing weighs 6200 lbs but it didnt seem right to me runs and drives fine but would not go over 55 will run 70-75 empty . is this just what im stuck with or is there something wrong ?? oh yeah 91 7.3 c6 4x4 any info would be great thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A C6 was not offred in 91. You have an E4OD trans. Are the injectors original along with the injection pump??? They might need to be freshened up if they have over 100,000 miles on them...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Yeah things can be freshened up and it will make a little difference but the best thing you can do in terms of performance is to put a turbo on.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
A C6 was not offred in 91. You have an E4OD trans. Are the injectors original along with the injection pump??? They might need to be freshened up if they have over 100,000 miles on them...

Really? they were behind a gas engine till 97

sootman73

Reaction score
Really? they were behind a gas engine till 97

yea teh E4OD took over in 1989(they coexisted this year but not after) what option would have been the c6 after then? i've never seen one factory with a c6 after that time....

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no techie, but we have towed a trailer with almost that weight and people in the cab and 1200+ pounds in the bed and if the truck is on a flat highway it will still get up to the same speeds, it just takes a minute. It will hold it on long drives as well.

Hills for us is a different story. Any good grade and its screaming in 1st gear. Sometimes it tries to shift to second and will lug badly. Of course there are instances inbetween but any kind of hill and we aren't going to be in third gear that is for sure.

Kind of stinks for us, but the neat thing is it seems to tow nicely and get us there and its cheap. Our setup is probably clapped out as well. Pretty sure we have original gray ip and injectors as well :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Another vote for injectors and pump and also making sure the timing is up to ***** for the new fuel.Even before I put the turbo on , I could pull my 10k 5er faster than that and I have a HEAVY crew cab.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
I don't think the o.p said anything about how heavy the trailer was that he was pulling. I tried looking up the weight of my wife's horse trailer online and couldn't find anything, it's a 3 horse slant load, with tack room. I'm to lazy to go out right now and look at the tag. Anyways, with one 1200 pound horse in it, it will take me a half mile at the most to get up to 60. Once I'm going that fast, I can pretty much keep it up to speed dealing with the hills in northern Minnesota, I just have to work the hills a little. We took a trip down to Princeton a couple of weeks ago, and I had her up to 70 a couple of times on the 4 lane, with no hills. I've only been to the northwest corner of Florida, but I would think that the hills down there wouldn't really be much for hills.
And I think that my truck should have a little more power then it does.:dunno

I just saw 6200 pounds, sorry. Sounds about right to me, I don't think that trailer and a horse weighs that much. Maybe I'll check it out later.