Just got my 1st diesel

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't get me wrong, i am not trying to tell you that it is the wrong vehicle, but that kind of drive is not exactly healthy either. the engine will not even get up to operating temp in ~5min. 20 on the e-way is pretty good. in the summer i get ~19mpg driving how i want. right now with this $hity winter fuel i am getting 15mpg.
And with new IP and BB's I'm only getting 10 mpg (local) and I feather the pedal like I'm driving a Jazzy Scooter. :D
I dig the OP's hard-on for his truck > I had the biggest one when diesel was .50 cents a gallon:love:
But $4.50 a gallon and RISING (for a local daily driver) :puke:cookoo:frustrate

OP...you want it to stand out > put some nice wheels on it, Armorall the rubber, wax it and let it sit ;)

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
search for fuel injection pump adjustment on google, step by step instructions on how to turn up fuel, you could also search for wastegate adjustment, you will have to drill out dimples in the rod to adjust the wg

Turboed94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheels an tires are gonna be a definate thing for it... But it's not gonna sit it'll be pullin our mud trucks to local events and things of that nature, an I'm planing on turning the fuel up 1/16 to 1/4 turn and adjusting the waste gate to around 10psi.. Or would that be to much?

Turboed94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't wanna puSh it to much but what do u think would be a safe amount? I heard around 3 turns shortening it equals 1psi change

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I'm not to worried about the short drive.. I just wanna make the truck where it stands out from the crowd in my town

Stand out from the crowd? Well that is admirable, but we need to know what the crowd looks like. Do they have 6 inch blocks and 38 inch tires on them? Or do they roll 26 inch shiny spinners and ultra low profile tires?

In a young crowd like yours, probably all you need to do is crank up the IP and belch out soot. That will get their attention right away. You don't have to spend any more money than the extra fuel costs.

Or you could set it on fire while you are driving to school. Nobody will forget that. But it only works once per vehicle, usually.

Just kidding on that last one. Keep the matches in your pocket.

Turboed94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More like lil Hondas with the fart can mufflers and I'm kinda liking my IDI so the fire is outta the question I'm thinking I like the injection pump idea and I'm considering by passing the wastegate is that a good idea or just shortening the rod?

DragRag

Reaction score
A corolla? No lol I'd rather get 5mpg in American steel than a foreign car.. Lol but I'm thinking an intercoller and like some moose injectors or dps injectors.. What kinda power do y'all think it would make then?

Get a ford contour then, I have one and it gets 30 mpg. I drive a truck only when I need to, or feel like it. Having a cheap mpg car is a lot easier on the wallet.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I can understand wanting to drive a truck. I remember when mine was being painted. I just turned 16 and was driving everyday. I had to drive my parents 03 Jetta TDI, ABSOLUTLY HATED IT! Thought it was a gay little car.

And here I find myself 5 years later owning two of them LOL And if your looking to hook up with a chick that likes you cause of your truck...well that speaks volumes of her character (materialistic). Just sayin

Last edited:

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i understand what the op says on his truck. i have a few idi's and don't drive that far half the time, and sometimes i go long distances. sorry guys i'm just sick of this get a lil car if you want fuel economy. if he bought the truck in the first place fuel economy really wasn't in his first thought. if it was then he'd be makin his own fuel. this guy came here with a couple questions on what he could do to his truck to make it better. coming from a guy of just turning 24 and reading everyone telling his to get a different vehicle is and has annoyed me a lot. i came to the site for the great info on these trucks and i think thats the reason why the op did too, not to come here and get told he should have got a different car for this or that. we bought and love our trucks and we are here for the great wealth of knowledge here. that being said, i love my idi and the fuel milage in the teens and wouldn't trade that for any little car that my front bumper would take off the head of the person driving said car. back to the op's questions, you have a pretty good set up now with exhaust, intake, and turbo. the intercooler will help some, so look into that if you want. there is a lot of great info here on this site, so sit back take yer time and search and read everything. thats what i've done and do unless i can't find the answer. to all reading my post sorry for the rant, but lets face it all, we didn't come here because we got a little econobox. i sure as heck DIDN'T. thank you for the time, and op congrats on the truck, but my other question is......... wheres the pictures of said truck? did i miss them or have you not put them up. ha, i always like seeing an idi. POST THE PICTURES OF THE TRUCK!!!

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turning up the fuel and boost is cheap and easy. Just make sure you got a pyro and boost gauge.

You have big exhaust, but was the downpipe upgraded? Upgrading the factory turbo outlet and the downpipe to 3in diameter is a good cheap mod. It makes a big "seat of the pants" difference. If you or somebody you know can gut the outlet and weld in a 3in exhaust flange this combo can be done for about a hundred bucks.

Some people here are devoted to making power out of the IDI, which is cool. Personally though I wouldn't bother with anything beyond fuel, turbo, and exhaust. These engines don't make a lot of power, but they are inexpensive and tough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online