just curious, twin turbo manifolds...

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i was at a shop where i go to and there's a pile of scouts (i get my parts there) and there's a 80's S-series international there with the 6.9, the left bank dumps in the rear straight down, and the right dumps in the front straight down, if i were to flip both manifolds it would face the manifolds up in the front correct? there's no reason this wouldn't work for turbo manifolds correct?

-Jon :D

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
If the left side dumps in the rear, then flipped it would be turned up and to the front. If the right side dumps down and in the front, then flipped it will point upward be be in the rear...

Not sure if they can be bolted on upside down, but it sure would simplify plumbing.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I've always heard that they wont bolt up flipped upside down. They might though, in which case it would work perfect.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try fliping it over, if that dosent work you could always attempt to make your own turbo headers for it.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ahhh... i see. well i flipped the pass side over and it lined up and the front and rear bolts went in, i'll have to see if all of them will go in. i guess i can put the driver side upside down (up-front) and get the IH manifold for the pass side pointing forward and down and just use a U bend in a pipe then mount a flange on it. we'll have to start fabbing, i have the itch and a new credit card! LOL ;Sweet cookoo

-Jon

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look closely at the stock location of the manifolds on the motors. You will see one is dumping up, then down out the back end of the drivers side. Thats to avoid the oil cooler. Now see the passenger side. It dumps down from the heads and out the back. I did see an IDI in a burned out line truck. The drivers side manifold was turned up and dumped out the front of the block and heads. Maybe International has special exhaust manifolds for these bigger trucks.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Look closely at the stock location of the manifolds on the motors. You will see one is dumping up, then down out the back end of the drivers side. Thats to avoid the oil cooler. Now see the passenger side. It dumps down from the heads and out the back. I did see an IDI in a burned out line truck. The drivers side manifold was turned up and dumped out the front of the block and heads. Maybe International has special exhaust manifolds for these bigger trucks.

hmmm.... good point, may be fabbing up headders for turbo's... grr never easy, guess i'll stick to my plan of NA now then turboing over the salty months... -cuss

-Jon

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
6.9Scout,
If you do fab up a set of headers for a twin turbo setup, PLEASE start a thread to document the process, with as much detail as you can. I would like to make such a setup, myself, but fear of the unknown keeps me from starting ( as well as wanting to fix the overheating problem before I add a turbo.)
The basic idea seems like a much better solution with better engine access than the single turbos.
Go for it!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
no one makes a "log style" manifold for the 6.9/7.3 do they? or even the flange that bolts to the head to make a headder off of do they? we're tossing ideas around and those are going to be the best route. i heard of a 550 IH tractor having twin turbo manifolds but i highly doubt that will have the same manifold pattern... :dunno

-Jon

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want something similar to this?

Attachments

• IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_0009.jpg
    100_0009.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 34

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
wow that's the best upgrade u could ever do to a chebby! LOL yea like that, only i want them to dump up in the front on both sides as that's where i have the most room under the hood of the scout! where'd u get those manifolds made?

thanks,
-Jon ;Sweet