Just bought a chevy diesel

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I became the owner of a 1995 chevy 1500 extended cab 4x4 with a 6.5 turbo diesel and a auto trans, the odometer reads 325,***;Really not sure if thats what motor and trans has, but it runs pretty decent trans seems to be in good shape,

I have a fuel leak that i havent found yet, it drips off the bottom of the bell housing and on the starter, Any idea?
Also the door on the passenger side does not latch:eek: so it tends to fly open around curvesLOL

What is some good things to leanr about these engines? im not familiar with the chevy diesels this is my first

And also whats some good mods for this truck/engine

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
:rotflmao i'm the last person you'd figure would be givin you advice about 6.5s. But I know a thing or two about em dude. look at the fuel filter behind the intake, pa's leaked there until I fixed it and it dripped on the starter. Dunno about your door but your gonna want to get rid rid of the "soot trap", straight pipe it of course (theres killer exhaust systems on fleabay about 250), marine injectors, etc. bring it by the house so I can make fun of it for you :sly

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a 6.5....some peoples kids :rolleyes:

actually i have 2 friends with 6.5's, one mechanical and one electronic. the mechanical one is out right now since it blew a headgasket. My friend with the electronic one has put 3 PMD's or whatever in it, even though it is remote mounted on a heat sink... well, I guess I dont have anything too positive to say about them, they both get **** fuel mileage too. I have driven the electronic controlled one a time or two, its a typical chevy, makes a lot of noise, but doesnt really go anywhere.

I hope you got a good deal on it. As far as the door, is the striker coming into contact with the latch, and if it is is the latch functioning and closing when hitting the striker?

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a 6.5....some peoples kids :rolleyes:

actually i have 2 friends with 6.5's, one mechanical and one electronic. the mechanical one is out right now since it blew a headgasket. My friend with the electronic one has put 3 PMD's or whatever in it, even though it is remote mounted on a heat sink... well, I guess I dont have anything too positive to say about them, they both get **** fuel mileage too. I have driven the electronic controlled one a time or two, its a typical chevy, makes a lot of noise, but doesnt really go anywhere.

I hope you got a good deal on it. As far as the door, is the striker coming into contact with the latch, and if it is is the latch functioning and closing when hitting the striker?
Mind if I pipe in ..... LOL ... I never heard of a 6.5 mechanical except for the ones that people converted .. you can take the INJ pump from the 6.2 and put it right on the 6.5 and make it mechanical ... supposedly .... but they were pretty fair motors as long as you kept them maintained very religiously and never worked them too hard .... basicaly a 6.2 bored .030 over with a PMD and they went to direct inj ... the 6.2 was really fuel efficient with the P/C injection but not much on power ... a turbo would cure that though ... I always wanted to put the 6.2 heads and injection on a 6.5 with the turbo and get the best of both worlds ... except they would be just a little harder to start ... I hope this info helps ..

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I've read is the cooling system has to be in 110% condition.......my dad has one, i would say its alot less 'torqy' then my ferd. Its an ok truck for daily driving though, it can haul toys no problem (although the back of his squats down with my lil 300cc polaris).....and with a load of firewood (shortbed) it also squats

but anyway congrats on the rig......even if it is a chebby :p

Black dawg

Reaction score
just as a warning, it will take NOWHERE near the abuse your old ford did. I work on lots of the old 6.2 and 6.5 trucks and never seen one with over 275k. Keep the cooling system 100%. check that the lift pump is working, very common that the op sender fails causing no fuel pressure, and this will burn up the injection pump. Only other thing I can think of is use bosch 80034 glow plugs.

if you ever have to put a water pump on it, use the 97 and up pump as it is high volume.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Well she already broke down on me lol glogged a fuel filter and also found out the electric fuel pump on the frame rail was not working so i replaced it with a puralator someone had behind the seat till i can afford to go buy the right pump, so far it being a decent truck even with 325,000 on the clock, its got more creature comforts than my ford does but my ford will out run it and out pull it everyday of the week, but my ford is not exactly stock either, i could never get rid of my old ford she is my baby, this thing is just gonna be a vehicle so i can haul more than 2 people around

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
That 6.5 I used to drive was pretty ballsy I must say, I never saw a 6.5 that would roll coal and was as fast as that one, had nearly 500k on the clock too

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I became the owner of a 1995 chevy 1500 extended cab 4x4 with a 6.5 turbo diesel and a auto trans, the odometer reads 325,***;Really not sure if thats what motor and trans has, but it runs pretty decent trans seems to be in good shape,

I have a fuel leak that i havent found yet, it drips off the bottom of the bell housing and on the starter, Any idea?
Also the door on the passenger side does not latch:eek: so it tends to fly open around curvesLOL

What is some good things to leanr about these engines? im not familiar with the chevy diesels this is my first

And also whats some good mods for this truck/engine

You must be registered for see images

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
needed a extended cab truck and they offered to trade for my s10 so i done it i know its a huge sin

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You either love em or hate em. I had a 3500 pulled like a mule. Started without being plugged in at -22*. I got 19 mpg in a 3500 crew cab 8' bed with 4:10 gears. 1500 series had more emissions crap than the 2500 and 3500. Look for an intake off of 2500 or 3500. When changing lift pump always check the oil pressure switch that powers the pump. 93 was mechanical pumped. 94 and newer electronic. Higher mileage engines suffer from sloppy timing chain. Might look into a gear drive.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Thanks, so the truck is doing pretty good, except i broke my axle at the cv joint not good, not sure when i will be able to replace that, but im loving the fuel milage this thing gets, whats some weaknesses and strenghts these things have? and whats some good upgrades? How much boost is safe in these engine?

Also i notice sometimes when i drive i will take off and my turbo starts whistling good then all at once opens the wastegate and it stops spooling, i cant imagine it would make that much boost that fast, then sometimes i will drive it and the turbo acts fine?

Last edited:

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Pa's truck did the same thing david, It sounded like it lit up really fast and other times you couldnt hear it at all. Ask towcat about 6.5 stuff, its my understanding he know a pretty good deal about em

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online