just bought 01 7.3

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, I am not used to the truck not running out of breath half way through the pedal. The 4r100 does seem to do some gear hunting, and there was an issue with the 2001 transmission where a bad solenoid would cause the transmission to bounce around between gears and I think the OD light would start flashing. That was fixed in 2002. In my case the PO got a brand new transmission from ford with the appropriate upgrades and the shift kit. I think Ford also called for the upgraded trans cooler and the inline filer as well which I also got.

In your case, check the obvious like trans fluid color and level then go from there.

I have not had to change the drain on my filter housing so I am not sure on that one. I seem to recall reading that it doesn't have to come off but I could be wrong.

Another thing that is common with these trucks is the wiring harness for the injectors that goes under the valve covers. It wears out and causes codes and rough running. Mine was also replaced by the PO.

Overall these trucks and motors are sought after for good reason. They just work and work and work. Unless mine burns to the ground, I am not getting rid of it.

1990idi

Reaction score
the trans fluid is nice and red. im sure this one has had some of the normal work done on it since it has 275k, i just got to fix the little things here and there. the only thing i miss about my old 7.3 is that old school diesel sound....

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have my 6.9. I fire it up weekly to move it around when I am mowing the lawn. Its nice to hear the old motor rattle away.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
When the tranny hunts push the OD OFF button. The PCM is trying to up shift at the wrong time. This can be corrected with tuning and a shift kit.

01 4R100 Diesel trannys had a Mechanical Diode. A fancy name for a one way clutch. They were prone to failure and were quickly replaced with the early one way clutch.

When this part fails you will lose second gear. You will here some really cool sounding noises from the case when this happens. LOL

Good chance this part has been changed out already. Its obsolete so it gets corrected during a rebuild.

That was there only issue.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you chip it youll get alot more power from it and better fuel mileage.unplug or gut the EBPV youre gonna hate the thimg when it gets cold enough for it to operate.more of a PITA than its worth.the EBP sensor is on the front of the engine either by the waterpump pully or a bracket on the hpop reservoir.its screwed to a tube going to the passengers side exuast manifold.clean or replace this tube as well if needed.

Dont be scared of the electronic part of it.a scanner is nice but not necessary.every problem has been discussed and with some smar searching here or on our sister site you can fix it yourself.most programmers for it have diagnostic capabilities.

Dont be scared to squeeze more power out of it.as the power level goes up,so does fuel mileage.its an 01 so you have alot of room to play before worrying about breaking things.450 rwhp is alot of fun.

As im sure you already know,go to IH dealers for parts.make sure you check out the parts listing here or on our sister site.

1990idi

Reaction score
so what are some things that affect the fuel economy of these trucks stock. city i average about 13 mpg..... i know it has a minor exhaust leak before the turbo. and have not seen any fuel leaks. it also has a brand new cam sensor, ive inspected the turbo and cac and piping and all is in good shape. are there any sensors to look at?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you knwo if i can buy those bellows in 2 " seperate for custom fab?

QUOTE=trackspeeder;817779]I would toss the up pipes in favor of a set of bellowed pipes. No more leaks.

Resealing the fuel drain is easy. Four screws and its off. Hardest part is getting to those screws. Don't drop them in the valley of death. That can be a PITA.:eek:

Yes the EBPS can play little tricks without setting codes. It can throw off tranny shifting. it can cause poor mileage issues too. You could replace the sensor if it looks funky.[/QUOTE]

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
do you knwo if i can buy those bellows in 2 " seperate for custom fab?

QUOTE=trackspeeder;817779]I would toss the up pipes in favor of a set of bellowed pipes. No more leaks.

Resealing the fuel drain is easy. Four screws and its off. Hardest part is getting to those screws. Don't drop them in the valley of death. That can be a PITA.:eek:

Yes the EBPS can play little tricks without setting codes. It can throw off tranny shifting. it can cause poor mileage issues too. You could replace the sensor if it looks funky.

The Dorman part is cheap price wise. You can get that at any good parts dealer.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled off my entire fuel filter housing off to replace my valve. but mine had been sitting for a few years and had a bunch of crud in it. its not hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online