01 beetle tdi key programming

Cjross73

Reaction score
I traded for an 01 tdi beetle but they had lost the key. Local locksmith spent a few hours trying to get a new one made. He could get the system in learn mode and the car started and ran fine, problem is it will never learn the key. If battery is disconnected or the car sits over night the key will no longer start the car. He exhausted all his ideas so I'm curious if anyone has had a similar issue?

Thanks
Chuck

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Chances are he's got the wrong immo chip in the key, they're different between 1999-2002 then 2002-2005. I've mixed them up before too they're easy to mix up.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also get an immobilizer delete. I guess it’s pretty common for them to fail.

My ‘02 NB suffered from it and I’d have to cycle the key until it was recognized. And I had the 3 original keys (2-fobs, 1-valet)

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Immo failure in my experience has been a failure of the induction ring at the ignition switch where you put the key in. While Immo delete is an option, I'd never do it if you live in a big city like I do. Just my 2¢

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sounds like immo delete is right up your alley then. Get a stage 1 tune while you're at it. And avoid kerma he's scandalous

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up BURPOD on TDIclub. He does custom tunes cheaper than anyone. You will NOT be disappointed. His level of service is next to none.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while... I don't really go on tdiclub anymore, not since I sold my mkiv wagon

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while... I don't really go on tdiclub anymore, not since I sold my mkiv wagon
Bad move!!! I sold a 2003 ALH Jetta Wagon 5-spd. It was a stupid move on my part. Although I love the B5.5 wagon.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You can go onto Malone tuning's website and find out if they are an authorized tuner or not. If they are, I'd run them. If they aren't, proceed with caution.

@Cant Write I absolutely loved my mkiv wagon, there wasn't a bolt on it I hadn't touched, plus I had done all sorts of stupid mods to it. However, driving in the big city we have a high percentage of dork drivers on the road who are texting and driving, I kept getting rear ended in it, so I sold it before it got totaled.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer about (almost) getting totaled, city driving sucks.

@Cjross73 Not personally familiar with Reflect Tuning but some folks on tdiclub said good things about them.