Jet Fuel and Amsoil???

taber45

Reaction score
Two questions here. I have access to a limited supply of aircraft jet fuel (sump waste fuel) and would like to burn it in my truck (94 250 7.3 IDI non turbo). However, I am concerned about the lack of lubrication contained within the fuel. For those of you who don't know, jet fuel is similar to kerosene, but freezes at a lower temperature. I have been told that automatic transmission fluid is a good additive, but am unsure. I have been leaning towards used motor oil because it is heavy and has lots of lube, but would like to preserve the engine, injector pump and injectors if possible.

Second, I want to try Amsoil motor oil....Any thoughts? Is it any better than regular oil or is that a hoax?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
you would need to add some sort of lube to the jet fuel if you were to run it - maybe toss in some motor oil or lube the heck out of it with a diesel fuel conditioner like Stanadyne or the like.

Now as for AMSOIL... I have done the switch on 2 different breeds of diesel and both times I established a base line on how the current engine oil was performing (shell rotella 15W40) - did this through the services of Blackstone Labs here in Fort Wayne. In both cases the wear levels dropped in my reports. The best drop was on The Enterprise (91 7.3l IDI - slightly modded) in that case my wear levels dropped by 50% on my current ride (95 5.9L Cummins) the wear levels dropped but not as much (~25%) but in both cases it showed me that it does live up to it's claims. In both cases I only changed the oil that I was running - kept with the same brand filters and the same oil change intervals because I want to see the effects of just the oil - not a combo of changes which could skew my test results. I did not do this to promote AMSOIL - I wanted to make sure that I was making the right choice because let's face it AMSOIL aint cheap so I needed to see that I was getting my full monies worth.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The place where I work uses JP-8 in all their diesel vehicles, mostly fords. I think they add some lubricant, but I don't know which one. I would treat it the same as you would diesel #1, which also works best with some lub.

Good luck and congradulations on finding a source of fuel that does not cost over $2.50 a gallon.

akoldnav

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you add anything, why not some 2 stroke oil. It is designed to lubricate and burn unlike ATF. Stay away from anything castor based though blendzoll smells damn good to me. Castor tends to leave behind a residue. Good ashless 2 stroke oil. Won't even take very much, less then a quart per tank.

taber45

Reaction score
What about switching to amsoil in an engine with high miles such as mine (190000) I am worried about breaking up the soot, etc. that may be built up in wierd places and plugging the filter. Should I flush the engine first with an engine flush treatment, and fresh (cheap) oil for a few minutes or just pull the plug and switch to amsoil in one whole shot?

And as for the jet fuel, akoldnav, could you check to see what additive they use, and in what ratio? I am not using JP8, but JETA. They are similar, but I think that JP8 has even less oil and never freezes, not even at absolute zero or some crazy low figure. I think that two stoke oil might be a good idea. Never thought of that one. Is all two stroke oil ashless? I am looking for the right blend of effectiveness and cheapness. Obviously, I am happy not to be paying 2.85/gal here in NY, but would like to get by for a couple bucks a tank if possible.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
taber45 said:
What about switching to amsoil in an engine with high miles such as mine (190000) I am worried about breaking up the soot, etc. that may be built up in wierd places and plugging the filter. Should I flush the engine first with an engine flush treatment, and fresh (cheap) oil for a few minutes or just pull the plug and switch to amsoil in one whole shot?

And as for the jet fuel, akoldnav, could you check to see what additive they use, and in what ratio? I am not using JP8, but JETA. They are similar, but I think that JP8 has even less oil and never freezes, not even at absolute zero or some crazy low figure. I think that two stoke oil might be a good idea. Never thought of that one. Is all two stroke oil ashless? I am looking for the right blend of effectiveness and cheapness. Obviously, I am happy not to be paying 2.85/gal here in NY, but would like to get by for a couple bucks a tank if possible.

On a high milage engine, especially a diesel, a flush is recommended before switching to a synthetic. I've been usiing and selling Amsoil for over 20 years. Lately i've found that running a treatment or two of Auto-RX ( www.auto-rx.com ) works best for thorough cleaning and seal conditioning before switching. I use that instead of the amsoil flush.The auto rx really cleans them up, and it does it slower, lessening the chance of some big chunk of carbon breaking off and clogging an oil passage.

------Robert

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 2 stroke oil, just read the label. I would think some sythetic blend 2 stroke oil would all be ashless. I think it all is ashless these days. A quart to a tank ought to be plenty I would think since you aren't lubricating crank or wristpin bearings, just a little for the valves and cylinders. Valvoline?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The local(SFO) UAL maintence facility runs straight jet feul in all their diesels. Outside of messing with the timing a little, I have yet to hear of an issue with running jet feul in the last 20 years of doing business with their parts counter. IP's do wear out sooner, but these trucks don't get shut down except for oil changes. the rest of the time, they are "happily" idling 24/7 cookoo
personally, I am running whatever garbage that burns in my tanks these days. As long as I stay at a 50% cut with pump diesel, the truck just chugs along. Just as a percaution tho, none of my settings, IP & turbo are maxed out. Everything is dialed back just for precaution sake.

Whit

Reaction score
A quick search and some results on jet fuel compared to diesel

JET A-1 fuel is essentially identical to JP-8 except it does not have three additives required in JP-8: a fuel system icing inhibitor, a corrosion inhibitor, and a static dissipater additive. Hot JP-8 fuel reduces the life of fuel pumps on some diesel engines, so avoid using JP-8 or Jet A-1 extensively in hot heather, and keep the fuel tank as full as possible to reduce fuel temperature.
Diesel fuel #2 and water separate completely; JP-8 fuel and water do not. JP-8 becomes cloudy when contaminated with water; and the cloudier the fuel, the more severe the contamination. The Ram fuel/water separator will not be able to remove suspended water from JP-8 or Jet A-1.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
kblackav8or said:
For 2 stroke oil, just read the label. I would think some sythetic blend 2 stroke oil would all be ashless. I think it all is ashless these days. A quart to a tank ought to be plenty I would think since you aren't lubricating crank or wristpin bearings, just a little for the valves and cylinders. Valvoline?

i would say 2 stoke outboard oil would work well... if it will protect my evinrude spinning@5600 day in day out i would think lubing a injector would be no problem... it costs about $12+ a gallon depending on what brand you get... one gallon will treat 50 gallons of unleaded but i'm not sure what you would need to mix it for diesel lube

i think toomuchboost has messed around with 2 stroke oil as diesel lube with very good results

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
jlayne said:
i would say 2 stoke outboard oil would work well... if it will protect my evinrude spinning@5600 day in day out i would think lubing a injector would be no problem... it costs about $12+ a gallon depending on what brand you get... one gallon will treat 50 gallons of unleaded but i'm not sure what you would need to mix it for diesel lube

i think toomuchboost has messed around with 2 stroke oil as diesel lube with very good results

Don't know for sure how much 2 stroke oil for a diesel, but on big twin high compression motorcycle engines, when they took the lead out, we used to mix about an ounce or two of two stroke oil to about 4-5 gal of gas to keep things civilized.

-----------Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online