jeep YJ 6.2 conversion

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarlaxle said:
Uhh...that fact that with any real load, they are so underpowered they border on dangerous? As in, loaded cement-truck slow, 0-60 in about 35 seconds.

I'd rather have a gas V6.
jarlaxle-
I know you come from a viewpoint of a responsible fleet driver. But keep in mind, you are in a minority compared to the animals that do drive fleet trucks. Being a former fleet boss, somebody hitting the ass end of my slow truck means I don't get the lawsuit, if my driver eats the ass end of another car or truck.....I get the lawsuit... you do the math, which one do you think the fleetboss wants? :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NapaBavarian said:
gas V6 in a tow truck? Where is the torque?
they existed.
back in the 60's there were many V-6's in light/med GMC towtrucks and chevy's too. 305cubic inches of V-6. :eek: no BS. got pics of one too. :D

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
In a heavily loaded tow vehicle, the 6.2/6.5 *is* a bit sluggish, I know- I have one. However, in a Jeep where you're not pulling a bunch of weight I think it will perform well. Military HMMWVs use these engines, and power has never been a concern. Remember that they are full time 4WD (AWD) as well.
I've driven both the standard and "up-armored" units- the armor is HEAVY (we're talking about 10K lbs total vehicle weight) and produces a noticeable drag on performance but they will still haul ass when required. :D

There are about 1000 HMMWVs on base over here and they get hammered on daily with few having problems so I can say with confidence the GM engines are reliable.

Cheers,

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
towcat said:
they existed.
back in the 60's there were many V-6's in light/med GMC towtrucks and chevy's too. 305cubic inches of V-6. :eek: no BS. got pics of one too. :D

I saw one of those once when I was a kid, said to my dad "but, it's just a V6" and his friend said, "yeah, but it has coffee cans for cylinders"

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Macguyver82 said:
In a heavily loaded tow vehicle, the 6.2/6.5 *is* a bit sluggish, ... ...GM engines are reliable.

Cheers,

For rock crawling it should be unbeatable, the torque down low should walk up over anything, and it is fuel injected, so it should run upsidedown...almost. My crew cab duallie jumps and runs, NA 6.9, banks stinger, so a light jeep should do even better.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Were I to put a diesel in a YJ, and were the Cummins 4BT or a baby Detroit (like a 3-53) not an option, I'd probably use a 3.0 Mercedes-Benz I-5 (as used in the 1981-85 300SD).

I have owned a 6.2 Detroit (two if you count my wife's Blazer)...even with a TH400 & 4.56 gears, my K-35 was totally, hopelessly underpowered. With it empty & my friend's 1979 K-20 loaded with a bed full of cordwood, his worn-out 305 (no cylinder held more than 110psi, the engine held 10psi oil pressure with straight SAE40) had no trouble pulling away from me. He also has a TH400, with 3.73 gears. The lighter Blazer is better, but still completely, painfully slow. The 1974 GMC C-35 ramp truck, with a 150,000+ mile 1-barrel 292 I-6 & a 3-speed, will easily run away from my old K-35 and the Blazer.

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
Jarlaxle,

Is your 6.2 really that powerless? I've driven quite a few 6.2/6.5 powered vehicles over the years and have never thought they were *too* bad.
The closest thing I can relate them to would be a TBI 305.

My '82 has a J-code 6.2, TH400 and 4.10 gears and has never seemed gutless. The 454 in the CC is quicker, but 10ish MPG keeps it parked! :D

I'm not trying to start a war, just tryin' to get other viewpoints.

Cheers,

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 6.2 suburban runs right up there with the 305 suburbans...yours must really be an improperly cared for pos...i have 230+k on mine...and it does just fine...you may want to maintain your vehicles a little better. :rolleyes:

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
My truck had <15,000 miles on it. I maintain my vehicles. Despite the deep gears (which had the engine SCREAMING on the highway, turning the truck into a rolling roadblock & killing any semblance of fuel mileage), it was dangerously slow with a 6000lb trailer, struggling to hold 55MPH on the highway, requiring full throttle all the time unless going downhill. A 1-ton should barely even notice a 3-ton trailer. The same trailer behind my much-abused J-20, with almost 10x the miles on a 2bbl AMC 360 & taller gears, was no trouble to run 55MPH. The K-35 was (just, just barely) acceptable when empty, except for the 14MPG, but completely hopeless loaded. The 6.2 is a boat anchor.

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
Easy now gents, let's not start WWIV.

I have 190K on mine and it still pulls hard, while getting between 23 and 25MPG @55 MPH. It's never been apart and has only seen one I/P and 2 sets of glowplugs since new. 55 should be no sweat for a 6.2, especially with low gears. Maybe your timing is off? engine running too cold? air filter plugged? wrong grade of lube oil?

I know it's not a hot rod, but a 6.2 is no boat anchor. Maybe you mean the Olds 350 Diesel?

Sorry for hijacking the thread but this engine has an undeserved rep for being gutless and unreliable. It'd be great to see one in a YJ!

Cheers 'n gears,

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Macguyver82 said:
Easy now gents, let's not start WWIV.

I have 190K on mine and it still pulls hard, while getting between 23 and 25MPG @55 MPH. It's never been apart and has only seen one I/P and 2 sets of glowplugs since new. 55 should be no sweat for a 6.2, especially with low gears. Maybe your timing is off? engine running too cold? air filter plugged? wrong grade of lube oil?

I know it's not a hot rod, but a 6.2 is no boat anchor. Maybe you mean the Olds 350 Diesel?

Sorry for hijacking the thread but this engine has an undeserved rep for being gutless and unreliable. It'd be great to see one in a YJ!

Cheers 'n gears,
i second that...pulling my car hauler..which weighs in about 1200-1500k..and an 82 ford ltd 4 door, had no problem running down the highway at 70mph...and only slowing to about 65 on long hills...and like i stated before...230k...now it has 240k onit...maybe we got the only 2 *good ones* lol...everyone likes to knock the ol 6.2, but hey, i have been impressed with its performance thus far, no it isnt a drag racer and it sure wont make it at the truck pulls..but it holds its own with camparibly equipped gassers of the same year and curb weight.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
My wife got dusted while driving her Blazer by a Ford Tempo a few days ago. This thing is getting embarassing.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol...mine runs pretty good unloaded..funny to take off at a stop light and dump smoke on the unknowing bystanders. mine still wont get beat by a tempo..yet. she's gettin old. but dependable to say the least, starts every morning and runs like a champ..but it doesnt seem to enjoy the cold too much..long cranking and lots of white smoke, god the neighbors love that at 6 am.