jeep YJ 6.2 conversion

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
As the topic says I'm going to try and but a 6.2 in a jeep. I have seen a 6.5 turbo in a jeep and it was pretty cool, but I'm trying to get a feel of what I'm getting into. Here are some ? I have about the swap. It is fairly simple to pop a 350 in a jeep so that is what i'm comparing my swap to.

Physically what is the size difference between a gasser and the 6.2?

What mounting points does a 6.2 have in common with a 350/454, bellhousing and motor mounts?

What is different inside the bellhousing when compared to a 350/454, flywheel clutch pilot bearing and so on.

Why you might ask? Fuel milleage, durability, found one cheap, and can't afford a 4BT.

I have D60's to put in it also so i don't squash the stockers.

Thanks!!!!

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
thanks man... i guess you could say i spend to much time in the junkyards, I would like to go with a 12v but those jokers are pricey and I don't want to stretch the front clip... but the 12v would totally rock when done!!!!

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what we can tell so far it will fit, but the radiator and fan will have to go in the back.

Can you imagine a Wrangler with 400-450 RWHP and 1000+ TQ?

A stock 6cyl is just over 3000# and I'm guessing this setup with tranny and axles would be in the 4000-4400 range.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
I want to ride in that when you "git r dun" hope you have some wheelie bars, and a clean pair of underwear.. that thing will definately be a beast... there is a guy on a jeep board i post on jeepforum.com that has a 12v (stock) in a cj7... they mounted the radiator up front but they lengthened the fram and hood like 6 inches ... i have to give it too them though they did a bang up job and took their time

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
All I can say is, "why bother"? You'll get more power & not one-tenth the hassle with a simple 305 swap.

And I wasn't aware that ANYONE actually liked the 6.2 Detroit.

scrappy

Reaction score
The 6.2 SHOULD be identical to the S/B Chevy in regards to the the bellhousing and motor mounts. The pilot bearing shoulde be the same also. But the motor is physically taller and wider and possibly longer also so it might be difficultto get it to fit. why not juststick a gasser in there?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Scrappy- Thanks for the usefull information, it may be fairly simple then.

Jarlaxle- There are a lot more reasons than that to choose an engine...

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
Diesel swap

JLayne, I'm no expert, but Here's what I do know-

Physically what is the size difference between a gasser and the 6.2?
The 6.2 is slightly wider and taller.

What mounting points does a 6.2 have in common with a 350/454, bellhousing and motor mounts?

The motor mounts are in the same location as any SBC. The bellhousing is the standard Chevrolet pattern.

What is different inside the bellhousing when compared to a 350/454, flywheel clutch pilot bearing and so on.

I have an automatic, but IIRC a standard chevy bellhousing *should* work, and the pilot bearing is the same size. the Diesel version uses roller bearings while the gasser version is a bronze bushing. The flywheel is specific to the diesel.

Why you might ask? Fuel milleage, durability, found one cheap, and can't afford a 4BT.

Bingo. ;Sweet

The Cummins (6BT) is a sweet motor, but it's heavy, long, and difficult to swap. The 6.2/6.5 is fairly close to the SBC in size and much easier to adapt.

Jarlaxle and Scrappy- as the last post stated, there *are* more criteria for selecting an engine than power ratings- the 6.2/6.5 engines put out the most torque (what you want in a jeep) an around 1800 RPM.

You ask "why bother"? how about fuel economy? longevity? S&Gs?

This board is (primarily) for diesel enthusiasts. This section is dedicated to the GM 6.2/6.5, so I'd say that there may be some people here who like them.
If you don't, find another forum.

Cheers and best of luck,
Mac

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok...i'll be the lone wolf and say..i have an 82 suburban i put about 600 miles a week on, i get 22 mpg, try that with a 350 *****!!!! i actually like my 6.2, not as much as my 24v i used to have but....i've pulled about 4k lbs on my car hauler with it...and it did just fine...i dont think i'll push it too much though with more weight, it has 239k on the clock and runs like a champ..sometimes..if the weather is just right and the wind is to the north/northeast with a relative humidity of 50% or less...i can smoke the rear tires ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarlaxle said:
And I wasn't aware that ANYONE actually liked the 6.2 Detroit.
Fleet guys loved them. :D They were cheap cheap cheap ;Really when you have a bunch of SBC's in the fleet, the diesels used many of the same PM items. Secondary harmonics was nowhere as much of an issue compared to the IH or the cummins, so even a gasser mech couldn't screw things up. Lastly, there was a time when one did scatter, replacement drop-ins were cheap if you knew how to shop at gov't auctions. So what if they were underpowered, the last thing a fleet boss wanted was a bunch of powerhouses, they would break easier not to mention, the "indy 500" wannabe drivers. Heck, there's six examples of ROLLED F550 towtrucks at a local towing equipment dealer. Not an easy feat to accomplish but the drivers are getting way ahead of the brakes and handling from a heavy throttle foot. So, what's there not to like on the 6.2/6.5 in a fleet app? :D

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Uhh...that fact that with any real load, they are so underpowered they border on dangerous? As in, loaded cement-truck slow, 0-60 in about 35 seconds.

I'd rather have a gas V6.