JB-Weld on the water pump backing plate

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

When I pulled my waterpump off, there was cavitation gouges in the plate that it bolts to. The gouges are not near to going through the plate as the plate is pretty thick. I wanted to "clean" up these divots so I applied JB-Weld with a razor blade to the spots. I have sanded with 400 grit dry. When sanding the spots, they got a little wet with coolant from the engine block and seemed to get a little soft. This was after letting it cure for 4 days. I looked at tthe JB-Weld website and it says it is impervious to oil and most other chemicals. I was able to run my thumb nail through it and make a slight dent.

I decided to let it set a day. I sanded it smooth today and it seems o.k. I just don't want that stuff to be floating around in my newly cleaned cooling system. I cleaned the divots with a wire brush and laquer thinner and let it dry completely (20 minutes) before applying the JB-Weld.

If it is not going to stick, I would rather wire brush it out and live with the divots than to have that stuff floating around in my cooling system.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any input.

Archie Taylor

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put JB Weld in my coolant system anyways, let alone to replace missing steel. "If it's worth fixing, it's worth fixing right."

In any event that stuff cures pretty fast. Unless you are working in a super cold garage; if it's still gooey after 24 hours, it wasn't mixed properly. Better to remove it than have it gunk up your system.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
If it was cavitation, it would scour out the JB Weld pretty quickly. If it was wear from the back of the impeller hitting the plate, it would last until the plate hits it again. I would not put it in there myself, but if it is a small quantity it should not hurt anything.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be afraid it'll come loose and clog up the tubes in the rad or oil cooler, get stuck in the headgasket/thermostat. I'd remove it. A coolant filter isn't a bad idea for your rig, plus you can use one precharged with DCA and kill two birds with one stone.

Heath

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Unfortunately, new plates are no longer available. I just went through that bit trying to find one. Sounds like either the metal wasn't clean or the jb wasn't mixed right . that stuff hardens SOLID in a fairly short time to where it takes some fairly serious tools to put a dent in it if done right.. those plates can get warped and pitted pretty horribly over time to where they won't hold a new seal once taken apart. ( been there) I wound up litterlaly spackling the dang thing level at the mating surface with gray rtv to get it to pass a pressure test on the stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US