I've got a miss/skip/flutter

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I've posted another time about this and exchanged some PM with other members and I'm still stuck on this. I'm about ready to just let it go and see what happens but I'm scared of the worst.

Previous post with video, especially the last one:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?72692-Am-I-hearing-things-Uneven-Idle&highlight=

I have what I can best describe as a skip. It is very hard for me to put my finger on what it may be but I can notice it the most at 1500rpm. I also seem to have some slight shaking at idle, but it is not consistent. I have gone down the route of graciously having typ4 test my injectors and they're good. I have no reason to suspect the pump, as it starts great and still pumps way more fuel than I can currently burn but it is untested thus far. I pulled my valve covers (PIA) this weekend and used a mechanic's stethoscope on each rocker while the engine was running and I could not definitively hear the noise on any of them. They all sounded the same. I thought I was possibly having a lifter issue but visual check of the running valves/rockers and the stethoscope have steered me away from that.

This sound varies with RPM and I noticed while I had my timing meter out with its light flashing once per engine revolution that it matched up with that flashing light, simply confirming in my mind the 1 noise/revolution I think I'm hearing.

I don't know where to look other than completely tearing into it, and I honestly don't want to and can't do that this time of year. Any off-the-handle ideas? Looking back at old videos in December when I got this thing back together, I think I even hear it then, but I DEFINITELY hear it now more pronounced. Or I'm just picking up on it more because now it's always on my mind.

This is a rather open-ended post but any wisdom is appreciated!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the engine cold, and the intake hat removed, disconnect the power to the IP and crank it. See if you hear any kind of woofing. Based on the limited sensory information I can get from the videos, it sounds like a weak cylinder to me. Possibly a cracked valve seat. Such issues do not always turn up during compression tests, as compression leaks can occur at different rates, dependent upon cylinder pressures.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Thanks Mel!

I'll try that in conjunction with a leak down test and see if I can get any better conclusions

If the heads come off, time for studs?:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online