It's official: PSD and Allison Build/swap thread for 1989 Ford F350

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Yep, plans are official now, the 1989 gets a 7.3Powerstroke diesel with a Allison 6spd auto behind it. To make this first post quick, I will quote my post from another forum:

beginningjockey said:
Well to start this out, we (me and my dad) have a 1989 Ford F30, beautiful truck, very little rust and only a very few minor dings. It still has virtually all of the original paint on the frame, to give you a idea of how good of shape it is in. We use it as our towing rig, a substantial upgrade from our 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 (which now lives on as a 1996 Dodge Ram F1500HD Custom). It is smooth, and we love it. Currently it has the 460 V8, nice motor, but it is a little underpowered for our towing, especially on the hills, and certainly eats fuel.

Just the other day, before anyone noticed or was able to stop it, the engine pumped out ALL of the engine oil into the coolant, and starved the engine of oil, effectively ruining it and requiring a extensive rebuild.

So, since we had gone so far with our Dodge on special conversions, we didn't really hesitate to think about doing it with the Ford. So, after much deliberation, we have decided to do a swap to a 1994 Powerstroke 7.3L turbo diesel, and convert it from the E4OD auto to a Allison 1000 series 6spd automatic. It is 2WD, so it makes things ALOT simpler.

I chose the PSD because it is a reliable engine, and modding it isn't TERRIBLY expensive, and parts are readily available. I chose the Allison, as it is, IMO, a very reliable automatic for the power range I am looking at, and I wanted either a 5 or 6spd auto, so the 6spd Allison fit perfectly. I understand there will be alot of custom fabbing to get the Allison to fit properly, but I am willing to tackle that, and have the needed resources to do it.

So this is going to be my build thread. It will take awhile to get the whole swap done, but it will certainly re-power our rig in a very nice way. Other plans include airbags for the suspension.

First step is going to be pulling the old motor and tranny (the trans is in very good shape still, will sell it, as E4OD for the 460s are very rare around here, good or not). Before I can get to that I will have to finish cleaning my shop, but hopefully will have that done in a few weeks :)

So far I have figured out, as far as the transmission goes, I will need to shorten my driveshaft, and get a aftermarket controller, PCS makes a really nice one for about $850, and I get full access to tune the transmission. I will also need to fab a new crossmember to match the transmission. And most likely will need to make a adapter plate and flexplate.

As far as the engine goes, the one I am looking at comes complete with all the wiring, both for the engine and the cab, and it is a manual setup so the ECM won't worry about a auto trans, makes it a LOT easier. The engine will most likely be getting rebuilt injectors, there's a shop that rebuilds them to better specs.

Anyways I'm running out of time here, so I'll post some more details next week. Lemme know what you think!

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Well update on plans for the motor:

- Stage 1 injectors
- New water pump
- New oil pump
- T 500
- New intake WITH intercooler
- DP Tuner
- New performance 4 tube radiator
- All new exhaust, as large of a downpipe as I can physically fit in, then Y-ed into dual 3" exhaust wit DynomaxVT mufflers. I'm planning on making my own exhaust manifolds, similar to these:

You must be registered for see images attach

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious what you paid for your stage 1 injectors. We sell a line of performance injectors for PSD's as well.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Update: The money that was originally planned to get used for this swap went elsewhere, so unfortunately the swap was cancelled.

However I can as time allows, post valuable info in here I learned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Staff online