It Starts then Dies, Cranking makes it run, ***?

blink_man24

Reaction score

I have a 93 7.3L, it has a new IP I've checked everything, no leaks anywhere. Maybe the lift pump is going out? Is it possible to put a blockoff plate and go electric?

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have a 93 7.3L, it has a new IP I've checked everything, no leaks anywhere. Maybe the lift pump is going out? Is it possible to put a blockoff plate and go electric?

Yep a lot of people have done it, the block off plate for a big block Chevy is what you will need.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance you are sucking air in your fuel filter set up, there are some electrical connections, and fittings. Try tightening return line clamps, check glow plugs, fuel lines. If you can put a pressure guage on, before and after the fuel filter setup, that would tell you what's up. But, I also believe changing the pump to electrical and blocking off the lift pump is just good preventive maintainance in itself.

Hope this helps.

Marq

1990 Ford F-250 4X4:
7.3 IDI with 120K on the clock:
ATS Turbo with waste gate:
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no fuff on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. I believe (as was mine), that there is a fuel block at the back of the engine intake manifold. From there, it goes back to the tank.