IT is finally dead for good

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
well after a couple of months of owning my truck the engine finally died today, it was pretty sad, i came home today at 3 oclock and started working on my fuel problem i got the tank cleaned and back in and got the injectors changed to some DPS stage 1's and put my Other IP on it, and finally got it running around 8 oclock, but couldnt get it right it kept dieing and acting like it was running out of fuel when it wasnt, and i was driving down the road and it died going down a hill, so i rolled it off and it wouldnt start so i gave it a small wiff of either, and rolled it again, it fired up ran for a few seconds held 1500 the rpm started dropping rpm i kept giving fuel then finally i herd KNOCK KNOCK then it locked up and oil started pouring out, got out of the truck crawled under it to find water and oil comming out of the oil pan so it ruined the block too, and i havent turned more than 3500 rpm in a long time:puke:
i reckon its time to put my other engine in

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I'm sorry sir.. but it appears your engine didn't die of natural causes." "What do you mean doctor?" "I think you know what I mean, Mr. Young... it was MURDERED! A murder most foul, sir!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
That sucks, but it can be a learning experience, tear it down, see what caused the death of it... It did put up with a lot, How many miles did it have on it and how high did you take the tach?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
That sucks, but it can be a learning experience, tear it down, see what caused the death of it... It did put up with a lot, How many miles did it have on it and how high did you take the tach?

I don't think you can get a proper measurement by how many times it rotates through the 1000rpm mark :rotflmao:rotflmao

seriously though, that sucks man, looking forward to the one you get built to hold a steady 8000 rpm in 2045 :sly ;Sweet :rotflmao

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It was only a matter of timecookoo.....Excessive RPM will kill any engine wether it's designed for it or not. There is just too much rotating mass for it to stand up to extended rpm's.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
It was only a matter of timecookoo.....Excessive RPM will kill any engine wether it's designed for it or not. There is just too much rotating mass for it to stand up to extended rpm's.

i figured when it would finally blow it would blow big and when iwas winding it, instead it blows when i spray a little either in it and then roll it off:dunno it dont make since it was running great last night except it had a **** load of air in the lines

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It wouldn't take much ether to kill an IDI with their piston design....Very little space for any liquid to hide in the piston crown that doesn't light.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
It wouldn't take much ether to kill an IDI with their piston design....Very little space for any liquid to hide in the piston crown that doesn't light.

well i know i didnt spray too much either in it, but my buddy was under the hood part of the time when we were trying to get it to start maybe i should have a talk with him

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I know when Goofy and I were trying to get my 6.9 started it was very easy to feel hydrolock setting in so we would have to pause here and there to let the ether evaporate.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang. That does stink, but I was worried I would see a post like this. I know the other high RPM guy here "CSARebel916" had a similar fate to his IDI recently as well. CLICK HERE..... post 10.

RIP IDI. You've given us all a some info on the limits of your design, and dyoung a heck of a ride.

Again, sorry dude.

Heath

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who knows, maybe the high rpms induced a little(i mean thousands of an inch) rod stretch and that was just enough to make your normal either spray just too much., Just a hypothesis