Is this a good trans flush??

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep - I would have Sherri sit in the cab and idle it while I watched for bubbles and spitting - then have her shut it down after I was able to scream over the radio... I didn't change the filter in the tranny either - I had an aux filter (oil filter) in the hot line out of the tranny and would change it - did this about every 12k miles.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Is this proceedure an ok way to change the trans fluid:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...F_Fluid_in_a_E4OD_and_4R100_transmission.html

basically just unplugging the trans cooler return hose to the transmission, starting the truck, running the tranny fluid out and refilling.

That'll work, but I'm not real fond of pumping one till dry before refilling.
The way i do for all auto trannys is to take an empty 5 gal bucket and mark off 1 gallon increments on it, then take the hose that you stick onto the cooler line and poke the other end into the bucket. Then have your helper crank it til it get's to the 1 gal mark, and shut it down, add a gal of fresh through the filler tube, then do it again to the 2 gal mark, etc... That way you never run it dry, and you'll see when the old fluid is all out and the new clean stuff is running through.

---------Robert

gandalf

Reaction score
Robert's method is better, IMHO. That's pretty much what I did. Worked like a charm.

I have a two page set of instructions which claim to be for a '99 PSD, but worked very well on my '92. It uses lots of transmission fluid, 20 quarts, but it did the job well. I'm not sure where I found the instructions, might even have been here on this board.

I'd be happy to send them along to any and all who would like them. If you do, send me a PM with an email address. They're in MSWord.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Great Idea, One question... you mention only removing 2 gallons (or 8 quarts), the original link says there's like 18-20 quarts in this transmission another post in this thread mentions 20 quarts as well.

If there is that much fluid in an E4OD why would you only flush/replace just 8 quarts vs. flushing the entire 18 or whatever is in there?

That'll work, but I'm not real fond of pumping one till dry before refilling.
The way i do for all auto trannys is to take an empty 5 gal bucket and mark off 1 gallon increments on it, then take the hose that you stick onto the cooler line and poke the other end into the bucket. Then have your helper crank it til it get's to the 1 gal mark, and shut it down, add a gal of fresh through the filler tube, then do it again to the 2 gal mark, etc... That way you never run it dry, and you'll see when the old fluid is all out and the new clean stuff is running through.

---------Robert

gandalf

Reaction score
Great Idea, One question... you mention only removing 2 gallons (or 8 quarts), the original link says there's like 18-20 quarts in this transmission another post in this thread mentions 20 quarts as well.

If there is that much fluid in an E4OD why would you only flush/replace just 8 quarts vs. flushing the entire 18 or whatever is in there?

The 8 quarts mentioned is only the initial step in the process. You don't stop there. You want to replace all of it.

No, I don't believe there are 20 quarts in the transmission. Some of that 20 is used purely for the purpose of flushing--you pour it in the top and pump it out the bottom. I'm willing to accept a little wastage on this in order to get the job done well. A couple quarts of transmission fluid is nothing compared to the cost of rebuilding.

Once again, I'd be happy to send the instructions if you'd PM an email address to me.

EDIT:: On a quick review of the write-up on ford-trucks.com I think the procedures are pretty similar. You might want to review both, and combine the best features.

Last edited:

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done it this way on many cars and truck before, I just let it idle and add fluid as it pumps out. However, it does make it a lot easier if you actually have a flush machine. We have one at the shop I work at. 15 min to hook up, and flush, and done for most cars.

Tim