Is my truck completely done?

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I go to start the truck today, all excited b/c i insured it. I checked the oil its in between the add full mark, so i cycled the plugs once and it started within 5 seconds but holy it was rough the truck was shaking violently and smoke with a light blue tinge (smelt of diesel) was pouring out of the exhaust. It was idling reaaaly rough so the exhaust was coming out in spurts if that makes sense. I shut it down b/c i was well scared. After i shutdown I rechecked the oil level right away and it was below the add mark a little but i assume thats b/c the rest of the oil is in the block. The smoke didnt smell sweet it just smelt like diesel (as it usually does). Today it is -10 Celsius and the truck was not plugged in. Please tell me it was only so rough b/c the truck was cold?

The truck hasnt been insured for three months but I did start it atleast twice a month, and two weeks ago i drove around the block and then put the winters on. It was fine. I pray to the diesel gods this isnt something catastrophic

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
It's probably just cold. You might have a problem with the glow plug system too. When it gets cold like this is when these truck like to tell you there's a problem. Plug it in for a couple of hours. It should make a big difference.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok ill plug her in bb, 7.3 i did recently reseal the oil cooler, maybe i effed updoing that? Doesnt it make sense though that the dipstick would have very little oil on it after i just ran it. O big piece of info i should add i pulled the stick, cleaned it then put it in and checked it. When i initially pulled it the level was high like always

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely not an oiling issue because these idi oil pumps are virtually indestructable and last a very long time. Your oil level will drop naturally right after engine has been run because the oil pump has transferred the oil throughout the entire engine so that is totally normal.
I really do not see a problem with what you are describing. Your truck has sat for a while and probably have a few injectors that are gunked up. Probably nothing a good long drive wouldn't clear up.
Fire it back up and bring the revs up to about 1200 rpm until engine warms up.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok hydro, it was just running really rough. I could see the engine shaking. My tach usually doesnt work

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your pressure gauge move at all? I wouldn't assume an oil problem with the info you provided. Did you give it a little pedal to set the fast idle? Sounds to me like it was cold and not hitting on all cylinders.

Like someone said, plug it in.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should clear up within a minute or two of high idling. Again I don't see a problem with anything. Just make sure all fluids are topped off and fire it up again. You may have glowplugs and/or injectors that need attention but if truck didn't smoke like that before, I would say it's just coughing and sputtering because you are waking it up after being dormant for a while.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, complete overreaction. Running fine now. Thanks guys, mods you can delete this if you want

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its just awesome how i can have a serious question about the truck, ask on here and within minutes i get an answer....I dont know of any board like this. There might not be good support for these trucks from ford but there sure is a lot from the oil burners community I like it :Thumbs Up

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I think its just awesome how i can have a serious question about the truck, ask on here and within minutes i get an answer....I dont know of any board like this. There might not be good support for these trucks from ford but there sure is a lot from the oil burners community I like it :Thumbs Up

You said it brother! :hail

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more question, is it "hard" on these engines if you start the truck without using the block heater?

And is it bad to cycle the gps twice?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
My 86 does the same thing. Started her today after a 3 month slumber. Just held her about 1500 and waited till it stopped missing. Its normal for these to do that when its cold and a few glow plugs are bad. My 86 fogs out everything behind it for a few minutes too.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not bad for them if your engine has been properly maintained. It is also critical to let these engines warm up properly before heading on down the road. A good 5-10 minutes is necessary when engine is cold in my opinion (at high idle). But it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and plug in the block heater because that will keep engine nice and warm all night long and reduce cold engine wear.
Cycling the glowplugs more than once may aid in starting, but can be a little ******* the glowplugs themselves.