Is my truck completely done?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
To me it sounds like a little air in the lines. Mine does this from time to time, a quick touch of the throttle to bring in the high idle and it settles down.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I suspect something related to the glow plugs and maybe a minor air leak. Do You know what glow plugs You have in it? Maybe pull them and see if any of them are bad or do the ground test.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put berus in her last jan, i will have to test them then. I don't really think my hi idle works bc i never feel it "slow" down.

I usually do let her sit for atleast 5 mins then put her in first and putt from my street to the main road. That takes me about six mins with no throttle just letting the truck go in 1st.....is that a good warm up procedure?

And a far as the cardboard infront of the rad goes should it just be cabletied to the grille?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is enough time to let it warm up. Be careful with the cardboard in front of the rad. Sometimes your engine can actually overheat if it is boarded up too much. Here in Cali you don't need to do that too often lol.
You can zip-tie it to the grill or slip it between rad and grill. Whatever you want to do there.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, ya it s usually pretty chilly up here in the winter months. I still have the factory idiot gauges but I trust they would be good in telling if I'm overheating. last winter I had it

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In behind the grille, when it got warm, ~ 1 ish, I just took it out just incase.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my high idle hasn't been working correctly recently, but the way it should go is that when you start the truck, you depress the peddle to bring the RPMs to 1,000 (or a bit over, doesn't matter really) and then let it go. It could continue to idle at 1k until its fairly warm. When it kicks out its very noticeable; accel. pedal jumps back and the idle drops to ~600-700. Its audible as well.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, ya it s usually pretty chilly up here in the winter months. I still have the factory idiot gauges but I trust they would be good in telling if I'm overheating. last winter I had it

If you knew an idiot, would you trust him to tell you when you truck is overheating?

You need gauges.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep, as said above the solenoid is some times a little weak, You need to push the pedal a little bit to increase rpm and it will hold it on its own until it is done. I know it gets cooler where You are but I would be careful with the cardboard in front of the rad, some trucks don't need it, You can tell when You get good heat out of it when warmed up. I do cover one of mine but only about half.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contradicted myself a wee bit there lol, were would i put this temp gauge?

Cabin heat? My truck takws a loooong time to heat up the cabin when its chilly out....evnb with the ccardboard

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
An engine with a properly functioning thermostat should not require cardboard in front of the rad. When the engine is cold very little coolant goes by the thermostat into the rad. Only when the thermostat opens does the coolant pass thru the rad. You should be getting heat in the cab long before that happens.

There may be other issues with your heating system. i.e. gunked up heater core, bad foam door seals, etc.

That being said, it takes a while for these engines to warm up, and it takes a very long time to warm up just idling. They are very fuel efficient while idling and do not generate a lot of excess heat. The fastest way to warm them up is to put a load on them. i.e. drive it after it smooths out.

It sounds like you might have issues with air intrusion with hard starting. A new set of injector will make a huge difference too. I just recently put new injectors and return line kits in two of my trucks. Wow, what a difference! My son has one of the trucks, the one in the avatar, in Prince George right now and while it runs a little rough at start up, it smooths out quickly. No complaints about heat either.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant tell, is that a blue single cab?.....i think he may live up the street from me, that would be quite the coincidence

Well from what ive heard diesels in general take a long time to heat up, the cab prob isnt sealed properly....another project for spring. I also have a ip and injectors and whatnot for it in spring/summer. So you guys are saying start it then push the skinny pedal down and itll stay like that for awhile?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That being said, it takes a while for these engines to warm up, and it takes a very long time to warm up just idling. They are very fuel efficient while idling and do not generate a lot of excess heat. The fastest way to warm them up is to put a load on them. i.e. drive it after it smooths out.
Thank you...I was about to write up a reply basically saying the same thing that you are. While you don't want to drive the truck like a rental immediately after lighting off, idling for a long period of time to warm the engine up is one of the worst things you can do. First, it'll take much longer to warm up; second, a long period of low-idling will result in unburnt fuel getting past the piston rings and into the oil. This is true with any diesel, really...although, at the same time, I would be gentle with the engine at least until the high-idle kicks off...

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay well today it was rough (forgot to plug in) I did the hold it at a gran thing and it smoothed out pretty fast

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.