Is my trailer hitch strong enough?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i got to looking at my trailer hitch, and a bronco i also have.....and the hitches are identical. In looking at the hitch it seems light duty for a truck that tows 10k+. With a 4' pry bar inserted into the hitch, my 190lbs can deflect it down maybe a 1/16-1/8" My question is, is this hitch up to the task? Or should i build a new one or buy one like this?

Here is the current hitch. It is very similar to most i have seen of this era.
You must be registered for see images

I have that magnum, it is a great one, just dont use the factory bolts, they are carriage bolts, not grade8, I used 9/16 nf lawson bolts and thier heavy washers, almost 1/4 thick, and the crimped locknuts, it wont be coming off.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tom37....that's sweet. i may be copying that.

Awesome deal!!!

I think that the way I had it to start with would have been fine but I just feel better having the second square tube. It just seemed like alot of weight causing the twist effect when I use the WD hitch. I lucked out since I built it to fit my 95 2wd with a standard bumper. The 87 has a drop bumper so I had to position the hitch further forward and it just barley fit. I think with just a touch of planning, it wouldn't be to tough to make it where the spare tire could fit above the hitch.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have that magnum, it is a great one, just dont use the factory bolts, they are carriage bolts, not grade8, I used 9/16 nf lawson bolts and thier heavy washers, almost 1/4 thick, and the crimped locknuts, it wont be coming off.

I definatley agree on the grade 8. I use grade 8 crimpnuts also ,they will never loosen. Heavy graded flat washers & crimp nuts are the way to go. Split lock washers are just beggin for troubble. Also on my snow plow frames the crimp (or self lockin nuts & NOT nylocks) nuts stopped the constant loosening that plowing for days on end can cause. And I mean perminatley stop loosening.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumpity......anyone else here build one? Also I am thinking on using come 1/4 wall 10" c channel, some 2"x4" 3/16 wall tube for crossmembers, and then some 1/4 plate for some reinforcements.

Would this be strong enough?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Now I think you are getting carried away. I have never seen a hitch fail unless it was rusted to nothing. And that was at the pulls with some ******** slamming against the chain

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I think you are getting carried away. I have never seen a hitch fail unless it was rusted to nothing. And that was at the pulls with some ******** slamming against the chain

Im not trying to over do it, just asking of ppl think those would be suitable because i have lots of it left over from other projects. It's calle free materials. A whole lot cheaper than buying a reese or curt replacement for my light duty one.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Im not trying to over do it, just asking of ppl think those would be suitable because i have lots of it left over from other projects. It's calle free materials. A whole lot cheaper than buying a reese or curt replacement for my light duty one.

10" C-channel is complete overkill. And Unless you have tapered washers to make up for the angle of the "C" you will be stressing the bolts

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We shall see. the 10" channel will be modified. for height. as for the angle...idk that it will the that big of a deal really. Plus fastenal sells taper washers.

On the same note 1/2" bolts or 5/8 bolts?

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
1/2"

On another note. how is your frame? Because 1/4" channel is thicker than your frame was original, no less after 20 PA winters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online