Is my dual mass coming apart?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Difficult to tell but it does sound like there's some excessive rattle there.
Best thing to do is pull the inspection cover and rotate the inner mass of the dmf. There should be no more than 1" of rotation. If the springs and bumper stops have failed they will be visilble when barring the motor over and will be on the most forward side of the dmf.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the engine and transmission in not too long ago. I'm sure there was more than an inch of rotation. I just thought that was normal. It has sounded like this since I put it in.

I can post another video later so you can hear it better.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
yeah I would say its shot mine never sounded that bad before it started puking springs and all kinds of other mess but that is a lot of play at the beginning of the video

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5/8" is actully even a lot of play. 1" is jkust plain worn out.
You can do what I did but prepare to hear about it.

I just welded about 12 inch long beads all the way around the flywheel. I had a little gearnoise but absolutely loved it. Whole new truck and sound.

My clutch disc had springs in it though.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I thought it was toast, thanks for the verification. Has anybody used the southbend 1944325-ok solid conversion kit.
I might consider welding it but, I'm looking to upgrade wherever possible. My clutch now slips when I come into 3rd gear with 10psi of boost.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I had a clutch disc made of iorn ceramic 6 wing puck disc. and heavy duty pressure plate rebuild for $230 and warrantied for 5yrs. I just found a single mass disc and pressure plate noone wanted. Laycook Products. Memphis, TN

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
any hp/tq rating on that laycook clutch?

That setup would handle a lot of power, most likely more than your engine could make, but it would eat flywheels and pressure plates for lunch.