Is my Blocks Life Over?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I notice my suggestion about decking the block was completely ignored. Anyone have any good arguments against it? .

no sir, it was not completely ignored.
we all know that to do this the right way, it needs to come apart. but with this engine seeing that its already 030 over, i wouldnt choose it for a candidate to rebuild.
the sailor just needs to get by, and rebuild another engine for a transplant in the near future.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yead, I called my machine shop about getting it surfaced but in the end it's more work than it's worth. I have a spare engine that is ready to come out... once I get my current one all back together and the trailer cleaned out (that's my shop :p I'll post a picture in my build thread) I am going to take the spare apart and see if it's any good. I believe that it is original and hasn't been rebuilt before, which is perfect as long as the cavitation was cared for.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no sir, it was not completely ignored.
we all know that to do this the right way, it needs to come apart. but with this engine seeing that its already 030 over, i wouldnt choose it for a candidate to rebuild.
the sailor just needs to get by, and rebuild another engine for a transplant in the near future.

Oh, I missed something then. I thought is WAS out of the truck and apart. If the bores are good, that doesn't preclude just honing them, decking the block and doing everything I outlined. Overall, I think it's a fairly safe bet to put studs on it with new gaskets and run it.

I looked at my pics. Couldn't find the pics of the block but I did of the head and the blown gasket. The block wasn't as bad as the head and it took 0.012 to clean up the head less than half that on the block.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Your attachments don't work LOL I have a plan together, heads are being cleaned and checked for cracks, if they really don't need surfacing then I'm not gonna worry about it. Getting all new gaskets for just about everything, new injectors, studs and a re-paint then she's going back in to get miss-used and abused! Just kidding :rotflmao

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
If you was close to western NC i have a good bottom end i would hook you up with. I pulled the heads off to replace my cracked heads.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
If you was close to western NC i have a good bottom end i would hook you up with. I pulled the heads off to replace my cracked heads.

Has been rebuilt in its life? The thickness of the walls is what I am looking for. I am trying to find a block that has stock bore and minimal cavitation damage. If my spare engine isn't any good then I will be looking for one.

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
Not that im aware of. Wear on heads and valve train leads me to believe no. Supposedly 150k ish.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn.

Just waiting for the next scene. when you scrap that engine dont toss the 030 pistons. I have a 20 block that needs them.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, go back and look at my blown gasket and fretted head pics above, now that IDIoit has clued me in on a Glitch the Burners Forum has when attaching images when replying.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Oh wow, that is more severe than mine for sure. I called my machine shop and he said the heads are good, no cracks or pitting thank the lord. I think I may have a chance here. I am picking up everything today, engine will be together by tomorrow. Probably not in though because it is supposed to rain, as usual and i don't feel like getting sick again. As soon as the rain stops for a day, the engine is going in. Then we shall see!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking back at the pics, I would at least deck it if it could be done safely. Yes, slapping it back together would be the easy way out, and maybe the chances of something happening would be extremely slim. But let me tell you something, you will be thinking about your engines reliability when you start towing and working that engine. I would not have confidence in my engine if I ignored that problem and just got in a rush to get it back together. And then there is the time factor. Spending all of that additional time tearing your truck apart to get that engine out again when you knew you could have done it right the first time. I say do it right while it's apart....IF you have the funds to do so.
If $ is tight, that's a different story. Do what you can afford to do and hope it holds up.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
This engine block could be decked but would most likely require a destroker kit, maybe. I am putting new gaskets and studs on it and am going to run her as long as I can. Mean while the spare engine will be getting bored and sleeved, the block will be fine, even there is slight cavitation damage the sleeves will take care of it. I have a good solid plan and am sticking with it. By time I am done with my rebuild, it will be sweet. NOW! Does anyone have a set of almost or brand new connecting rods for the 93/94 7.3's? I am looking to buy a set of them :sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the rods you want. Best tell us what you want be it the turbo rods or the non turbo rods. I'm thinking you want turbo rods but you left this wide open. If you want non turbo rods and idi has them. Every idi be it 6.9 or 7.3 will use the same non turbo rod. Isn't that nice that we can find them easy. Sadly the turbo rods were a 6 month run in 93 1/2 to 94 only. Ford and international still sells them. They are expensive. I think I bought the last 2 complete sets from ebay many years ago. Have never seen them since either. I'm a parts hoarder and there is no hope for me...:angel::angel:

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
lol@ ill bet you a turbo that your plan will change! LOL
they always do!

Oh I know it will change, but none the less I always have a plan... So.... If this spare engine doesn't work out. I will give up on the 7.3 IDI as a whole and drop a cummins in there.... Problem solved! I am sure my spare engine is fine, its getting sleeved anyway so it really doesnt have to be perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online