Is my Blocks Life Over?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
non adjustable valvetrain is just that, you bolt it together and run it.
we run a hydraulic valvetrain, a couple of thousanths are not gonna matter,
if you cut the heads and deck enough to upset this geometry, you are going to have other issues that will come to light real quick.
like a valve to the slug.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, I sent him a PM. I have a lot of spare parts laying around at this point.... Cranks, Cams, Rods, Rockers, ETC..... It's ridiculous. I need to find something to do with my current engine that's bored 30 over and pretty much done..... Unless I pay a fortune for machining which I could get a re-manned for that.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
may be a perfect candidate for a set of sleeves and your 400/800?

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
non adjustable valvetrain is just that, you bolt it together and run it.
we run a hydraulic valvetrain, a couple of thousanths are not gonna matter,
if you cut the heads and deck enough to upset this geometry, you are going to have other issues that will come to light real quick.
like a valve to the slug.

I have came to the realization that my current engine is done.... It's not worth messing with, it is basically a giant piece of scrap. My spare engine may be 100% untouched since 1989 as long as the cavitation didn't get it.... I am working on getting rid of my current engine and pulling that one for inspection, it's just a shot in the dark, with no night vision. No 400/800 right now.... Ain't worth it at this point....

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the status of your spare engine? Is it in a truck that runs? I would imagine in your area you could buy a running truck and swap in the engine. I agree it would be ideal to have your truck running while you rebuild another engine. I ran mine for a year with a head gasket leaking coolant externally while I built a replacement. These things do start taking up a lot of space when you take one apart. As for valve lash, we have hydraulic roller lifters that self adjust.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
The spare engine is in my parts truck.... Last time it ran was a year ago, truck is NOT road worthy what so ever, no tranny, no dash, no anything haha! I just need to figure out what to do with my current engine.... I only enough space to work on one at a time :p I guess just scrap the block and pistons and give the other stuff to someone who can use it....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spare engine is in my parts truck.... Last time it ran was a year ago, truck is NOT road worthy what so ever, no tranny, no dash, no anything haha! I just need to figure out what to do with my current engine.... I only enough space to work on one at a time :p I guess just scrap the block and pistons and give the other stuff to someone who can use it....

retired engines make for great planter boxes.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
What if I just put gaskets on there with some studs and torque em down? I mean... Whats the worst that could happen? It doesn't work? Atleas that would be cheap and give me room to re-build the other engine... i think I may try that.... Cause I could always re-use the everything on the engine ya know? I think I may do that. I showed Justin at R&D and he said his looked like that, he used it anyway.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whats the worst that can happen?
ill tell you....
it lasts forever and you want to slap your turbo back on sooo bad you can taste it, but you know you shouldnt.
TORTURE
and you learn bucket loads in the process

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i hope you created new timing marks when you rented that meter from Gary lol

i wouldnt run the studs on there, save them for the next engine.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Ya know..... So where the head gasket failed wasn't because of this.... The gasket itself failed........ Which means that this block was like this for a LONG time and had no effect on the engine at all even when I turbo-ed it.... I'm gonna get the heads checked out, get the gaskets here, and get this thing back in my truck so I can play with the other one.... I think the gasket will work just fine, it's meant to seal this kinda !@#$ anyway.... With the studs this won't happen, I am only running 6 to 10 LBS of boost, the studs will hold that head just fine....

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I'm studding it haha! I aint puttin them stupid head bolts back in there.... Money is only money.... Besides, they last a long time ya know? I can re-use them.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
So I just looked at it again, the more I look, the more I think it will seal... As long as I get another year outta the engine, no F!@#'s wil be giving because by then I will have an engine ready that will last a LONG time. I have a strange set of injectors to... 6 bb and 2 d.... *** haha

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I agree. Put it back together and run it. I would reuse the studs too. That is one of the advantages of studs.
Hopefully, this turns out to be one of those long term tests. :)

And keep an eye out for a spare engine. Chance favours the prepared mind. :sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes