Is my Blocks Life Over?

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Ha! I have a spare engine, just need the time to go through it.... You know what I blame for all this???? THAT STUPID WORTHLESS PIECE OF !@#$ C6 transmission.... 3000 RPM at 55 MPH.... No wonder I had issues..... If I could go back in time, I would un-invent the C6.... It's stout but still a POS lol! I installed my ZF 5 to late haha

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Do you have a good torque wrench?

I don't trust the click type any more.
Old fashioned beam type works good and it's cheap.
I like my digital one. It beeps when you're getting close to the number you put in. Nice feature.
Has a record of max you pulled. Cool stuff.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! I have a spare engine, just need the time to go through it.... You know what I blame for all this???? THAT STUPID WORTHLESS PIECE OF !@#$ C6 transmission.... 3000 RPM at 55 MPH.... No wonder I had issues..... If I could go back in time, I would un-invent the C6.... It's stout but still a POS lol! I installed my ZF 5 to late haha

The C6 transmission has nothing to do with the damage done to your engine. You can run these engines off the governor all day long no problem. My truck being one of them sometimes. Recently did my head gaskets and didn't see anything abnormal like you see with your engine, and I have a C6 that keeps on pushing me down the road.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean it, toss on gaskets, stud it, be done with it, run it like ya stole it.

LOOK hard for something to build up....whilst running that one!

Just sayin

I'd run it too.... ;)

it's only gaskets and yer done

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The C6 transmission has nothing to do with the damage done to your engine. You can run these engines off the governor all day long no problem. My truck being one of them sometimes. Recently did my head gaskets and didn't see anything abnormal like you see with your engine, and I have a C6 that keeps on pushing me down the road.

I agree. Steady state RPMs have little to do with it. My truck has 4.10s and 3000 rpms doesn't come until a bit over 70 mph with 33s and 65 with the stock 31.5". Anyway, that damage comes from the heads lifting... and that can come with a hard worked NA engine too. Since we know the engine has been apart because of the bore job, we don't know if, a) the heads were properly torqued, b) the head bolts were replaced, c) the problem existed at that time and it was put together anyway. Anyway, it's kind of a waste to "name the chicken" at this point and probably not accurate. In the end, it doesn't matter. It is what it is.

I notice my suggestion about decking the block was completely ignored. Anyone have any good arguments against it? It would certainly be less expensive than sleeving it, though sleeving might solve any potential problems down the road with cavitation... assuming it's even occurred with this engine. Which we do not know.

Overall, I am very happy to have a 6.9L ( : < )

I'm hoping those pics The Sailor posted will keep the "turbo-IDI-don't-need-no-stinking-studs" crowd quiet for a while.

square1

Reaction score
Been lurking here for about a week as a new IDI Turbo owner and frankly these kind of posts are scaring me so badly I drove my new to me 94 F-250 home last Saturday and haven't started it since ;)
I ordered (8) gal of extended life antifreeze and will drain, flush, and refill the cooling system before running the truck to hopefully keep cavitation in check (truck has ~128,000 miles) and thought I'd be good to go. NOW I'm wondering how I can check to be sure my ride isn't heading down the same road as USNENFTS'.

I was so excited to score my truck after reading all the praises folks had for the IDI and will probably only drive it a few thousand miles a year as a tow vehicle (tractor, saw logs, firewood, etc...) ,. I am starting to think the maintenance on the thing will be equal to the drive time.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice this forum provides and bear with me when I ask "basic questions anybody should know the answers to" while I cut my teeth on diesel truck ownership.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Been lurking here for about a week as a new IDI Turbo owner and frankly these kind of posts are scaring me so badly I drove my new to me 94 F-250 home last Saturday and haven't started it since ;)
I ordered (8) gal of extended life antifreeze and will drain, flush, and refill the cooling system before running the truck to hopefully keep cavitation in check (truck has ~128,000 miles) and thought I'd be good to go. NOW I'm wondering how I can check to be sure my ride isn't heading down the same road as USNENFTS'.

I was so excited to score my truck after reading all the praises folks had for the IDI and will probably only drive it a few thousand miles a year as a tow vehicle (tractor, saw logs, firewood, etc...) ,. I am starting to think the maintenance on the thing will be equal to the drive time.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice this forum provides and bear with me when I ask "basic questions anybody should know the answers to" while I cut my teeth on diesel truck ownership.

you need to check,if that coolant,,has the anti cavitation additive added....if not,,go somewhere to get it....then drive it like you stole it...you need the strips to check the level of anti cavity additive,,,,

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Think about how many of these trucks are still on the road, the percent of owners that are members here, and then the tiny percent of threads about major engine issues...

square1

Reaction score
you need to check,if that coolant,,has the anti cavitation additive added....if not,,go somewhere to get it....then drive it like you stole it...you need the strips to check the level of anti cavity additive,,,

I tested the existing coolant and found it lacking. The coolant on order is pre-charged so hopefully I'll be good to go. Thanks!

Think about how many of these trucks are still on the road, the percent of owners that are members here, and then the tiny percent of threads about major engine issues...

Thanks for the peace of mind, to say I'm **** about maintenance is probably an understatement similar to "Bill Gates is doing well for himself” ;)

I don't want to hijack USNENFTS' thread so back to the OP's dilemma ... :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online