Ip not getting fire

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok I was drivin today and I had got junk fuel so I was runnin it hard to get that fuel out an my truck jump forward it seemed like once.didnt think nothin of it and so I turned into the gravel road an was gettin it and the tack started acting up and the truck was acting weird then it was fine.well acouple hours later I was headed to town and it just sputters once an it was done.cranked an cranked an pulled it for 5 miles nothin would do it.i didn't have the time to mess with anything on it before we pulled it I had to pick my buddy up from work so we just pulled it to the shop.got back put a new fuel filter on and cracked a line and cranked an nothin ever came out.tested the wire that goes to the pump and nothin so we ended up just jumpin the pump to move it out of the way.where do I even begin on this?i changed any blown fuses that were in the cab to start with and I'm lost bad on this one

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if I follow, jumping the fuel shutoff resulted in running truck? With key on you should have 12 v to the red wire with green tracer. Also do you have accessory power etc.? Glow plugs? If not, then need to check fusible links if fuses are good. Main power feeds generally from the hot post on the starter relay on the fender. If that checks out, it could be the ignition switch down on the column. Could be mis-adjusted or just bad. Hope that gets you started.

Stupid ifail

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
So if I follow, jumping the fuel shutoff resulted in running truck? With key on you should have 12 v to the red wire with green tracer. Also do you have accessory power etc.? Glow plugs? If not, then need to check fusible links if fuses are good. Main power feeds generally from the hot post on the starter relay on the fender. If that checks out, it could be the ignition switch down on the column. Mia adjusted or just bad. Hope that gets you started.

Ya I've got my radio an stuff we actually hooked somewhere on the glowplug relay to jump it lol.dad said something about the steering column also which I forgot till you said that I wasn't sure and he wasn't completely sure if that could cause it because it won't stay in the run position or something.ive had bad luck with columns this will make number 5 I've put in if I have to change it which I've gotta change it anyway I just havent

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't have to change columns for a bad ignition switch. 2 bolts and it comes off the side of the column.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Shouldn't have to change columns for a bad ignition switch. 2 bolts and it comes off the side of the column.

We can never get them back to where they work right lol but it's always something different this time the tumbler won't push the rod far enough to start it

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Broken actuator maybe? Loosen the switch down on the column and slide it up toward the wheel I think is the right direction.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I feel like an idiot for even making this know[emoji23]maybe it'll help someone in the future but it didn't blow the fuseable link it burnt the wire from it to the plug.why it did that we don't know lol

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Nevermind I went to town earlier and everything was fine well I started headin back and it started cutting out and I smelled something burning so I shutter down real quick and looked and it burnt in two agian.luckily the shop was at the bottom of the hill so I twisted the wires together and layed it to it and it started cutting out and I got over the hill and started coasting and it didn't act up anymore. So it only did it when I was on the pedal so what do y'all think? My moose juinor have something shorted out or could it be the plug. I'm gonna jump around the plug tommorrow runnin a wire from the fuseable link straight to the pump and if it fixes it I guess it's the plug but if it don't I guess I'll be sendin the pump back.anything else it could be?
You must be registered for see images

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe those rubber insulators where the FSS bolts to the pump are bad and it's shorting out there? Causing your truck to cut out and lunge and burn your wires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Maybe those rubber insulators where the FSS bolts to the pump are bad and it's shorting out there? Causing your truck to cut out and lunge and burn your wires?

What rubber insulators are you talking about? Sorry I'm not around my truck or I could look lol

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FSS bolts to the top of the pump from the inside. Those studs that the hot wire plugs into have rubber /plastic washers so that when you energize the FSS solenoid it doesn't short out. It sounds exactly like your problem.

I'll take some pictures tonight. I know I have a pump top off on my bench

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
The FSS bolts to the top of the pump from the inside. Those studs that the hot wire plugs into have rubber /plastic washers so that when you energize the FSS solenoid it doesn't short out. It sounds exactly like your problem.

I'll take some pictures tonight. I know I have a pump top off on my bench

Can I fix it myself or should I send it back to Mel cause I don't wanna void my warrenty cause I've only had the pump 2 months I think

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Alright so as of right now it's working fine.we ran a wire straight from the fuseable link to the pump it's self and bypassed were it was burning out between it an the plug.ill keep y'all updated on if it does it agian or not

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bet is bad truck wires( 30 odd yrs of heat and oil) nothing wrong with the pump I bet!
Fusable links burn out due to high current usage( think corrosion, arching, dead short)
Yer gettin close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert