IP installation install pointers needed..

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i got Darrins spare Ip pump he had on the parts truck because i think mine was dying.. anyway im looking to install it soon..very very soon.. and need some advice on the best way to go about it.. what do i take off first, what do i need to pay attention to, how long will it take, etc etc. ..

thanks guys.

also is there a way to "decode" ip pump tags to see if they are original, and what they came out of?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know there is no way to decode what they originally came out of exactly as with a VIN code but your pump should be DB2XXXX( I think it's 4 digits) some numbers after it. Oregon Fuel Injection has all those pump numbers posted and it should tell you what vintage and if it was 7.3/6.9/7.3 factory turbo. As for tips...don't cross thread the injectors, don't take the lines off until you have the IP off. When you do take them off as a loom still in the clamps if you can and be really careful to install each line to it's correct fitting on the IP. There are diagrams of what goes where if you get confused, but it's better if it doesn't come to that. Also make SURE to reinstall those line clamps and the insulating rubber if you have to remove them for any reason, otherwise you very likely will crack a hard line sooner or later. These lines aren't getting easier to find and they have a habit of letting go at the worst time/place. Whatever you do, don't take the gear cover off unless you want to educate yourself about how to realign the gears. It shouldn't jump timing if you don't loosen the gear cover or anything. Line up the scribe marks and if you are close to RLDSL drive it to his place and get him to put it at 9.7BTDC at 2000 for you ;) if not and you don't have the tools you'll just have to set it where it doesn't clatter too hard and doesn't white smoke and call it good. Alternately a shop in Fayettville or Branson, MO might have the tools but it'll cost you around 1.5 hrs of labor. Not real cheap. Since Darrin probably had to completely drain the pump to ship, it may take it awhile to get it primed up so keep the batteries well charged, give the starter frequent breaks and don't give up. Also it might be a good idea to have a smooth clean hardbound book or clipboard to clap over the intake in a hurry in case that thing tries to run away when you fire it up. Just a good rule of thumb when doing IP work, before you even try cranking it make sure you have that audible "click" when you apply and remove power from the FSS. This indicates you can control the thing with a click. After having a runaway I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. My truck didn't blow up. I attribute it to divine intervention, others would say luck... but whatever it was scary as hell. I thought sure it was a goner and I got a lot of unwanted attention that day from the neighbors.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've read the fuel injection servicing article in the tech archive right? ;Really

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks jd, it sounds like a pain in the ass but i think i can do it. it already has new injectors and i think this ip (a newer ip that is) will help me immensely. its probably off time a little, its been something ive been meaning to get done, guess ill wait til new pump is in then go from there. as far as who can time it.. i live about 20 miles from Brians Truck Shop and work with one of the guys parents, i guess the use to be big into IDIs so they are the reasonable choice i think.

and agnem i did read it, thats how i knew about the click in the IP

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great ask him if they have the tools to time it with. If not I think you're not very far from RLDSL either I don't want to volunteer him but I know he has a ferret adapter and adjustable timing light. Brian's truck stop are good folks nothing but good reviews about how they can build up an E4ODOA and make it really awesome. I thought they were into transmission stuff but maybe there is way more? Good luck with the IP swap it is a lot of work but you just have to suck it up and not be in a hurry, take breaks before you get tired/frustrated and start breaking stuff.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yup, if they don't have the tools up there, I'm not to darn far away from you there. I think it's about an hour and 45 minutes and I've got all the goodies here ;Sweet. I'm just outside of Conway near Toadsuck

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they should, i saw one of them in the store (i work in retail) and asked them if they could, they said one of them has a lot of idi experience. They are famous for transmissions, but they do alot of performance stuff too, they even have a dyno in their shop. they mainly specialize in powerstrokes but can do idi stuff. ive wanted to stop at their shop i guess getting the truck timed is a good time to stop by. dont worry, ill share the info with everyone as a possible link. if i had 4k id have them build me an e40d for my motor.

and rldsl, it hought i was further from you than almost 2 hrs? how far from branson are you ?

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I thought you were around Omaha , and it's about 1.5 hours to Harrison from here if you don't get any traffic, and I figure about another 15 minutes to Omaha That's running in a car or without a trailer. It usually takes well over 3 hours dragging the 5er up there.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am, i always use branson as an estimate. you must live near clinton, that road down to conway is pretty sorry.. its no fun with a trailer.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have to ride 65 all the way up from Conway and you;re right, it;s no fun with a trailer, it's a plain old workout. I don't think there is a half mile that is straight and flat on that road. At least they've extended the four lane stretches and put in a few more passing lanes so it's not near as tedious as it used to be when it we 2 lane the whole way

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i had to install afew things like replumb my turbo intake and try to fix horn.. well when i go to test the horn i get nothing.. i think thats weird because usually the relay clicks. then i try to turn lights on..turn it over, etc. zero, not even a click from the starter relay.. i put a volt meter to it and got maybe 4 volts on one battery and about the same on other.. even with voltage that low shouldnt i at least get a starter relay click? it seems like i dont even have batteries hooked up.. when i put a charge to one battery my fuel pump relay clicks but when i hook it back up it drains it really fast..

is my alt screwy? what do i need to check?

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the test run i had it seems to of ran well. it sounds..really good, you can hear the turbine start to spoon when you get on it, then when it hits gear its like a kick in the ass. as soon as i get my ip/electrical issue resolved it should run nice.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
4v may be enough to trigger the fuel pump relay, but that is not enough juice to trigger a starter relay. ProbBLY need to check for loose grounds that might be causing the power drain

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
weird thing is it just started doing it the past week.. only thing i did was hook up the horns.. and cleaned a few connections. which im gonnan have to check out tomorrow and narrow it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger