Introducing TOTAL MOOSEPOWER!

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man you guys are some hatefull ********. I give an opinion and every flys off the handles. This is worse than facebook with a bunch of high schoolers. Instead of being ******** like some why not point out the benifits. Really needs specs and dyno. Which wil be nice to see.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man you guys are some hatefull ********. I give an opinion and every flys off the handles. This is worse than facebook with a bunch of high schoolers. Instead of being ******** like some why not point out the benifits. Really needs specs and dyno. Which wil be nice to see.
i just went through the posts. I don't see any "hating" on you. i've seen the BS on FB and other forums. This place is tame compared to many others. Mel has posted in the beginning that HE HAS NO NUMBERS YET. but whatever is produced, will be test run on a dyno to ensure the final product is drop-in ready. this is a truly viable alternative for those who don't have a decent machine shop in their area, or have the skills to put together a motor. YOU may not look at your truck as worthy for such an investment, but there are others here who do. but if you need numbers to compare to the horsepower wars on other sites, those numbers will come when the motor is assembled, but be warned, I seriously doubt they will be earth shatteringly big. but it will be big enough to get out of its own way.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be happy with something around 300 or so. I am not even sure what these motors are capable of but a reliable 300 hp motor is plenty in a daily driver IMO.

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my truck. And this isnt out of the question. I have a 2 wheel drive dually. Really need to convert to 4 wheel drive. Along with motor etc. Everyone assumes im against this. Im not i support mel. I have his injectors already and soon to get his bull moose.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on your plans. If you want big HP then a Cummins may be your answer. Usually sticking with an IDI is cheaper and easier. From what I reasearched when I was contemplating a swap finding a donor truck is the best way to go about it but that's a little off topic for this thread.

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the most hp and torque we can se out of an idi. Whats is a guss for a built motor

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the most hp and torque we can se out of an idi. Whats is a guss for a built motor
i've never bothered to find out. my naturally aspirated F450 carrier got the job done with 4.62 gears. godawful slow in the hills, but it brought the bacon home for 980k logbook miles. my '92 otoh, has all the power package bells and whistles, except for the typ4 cam and Moose injection system. what it does have is an aftermarket ATS093 and the ATS intercooler package. The feul system is stock except for a bottomed out fuel screw. I didn't see the need to run a full-on Moose system when I am running largely a WMO(waste motor oil) cocktail in order to keep fuel costs down. The truck does get loaned out often, so I don't do anything to it that requires constant attention from the operator. Still, when pulling at 18k GCVW, the truck provides all the power you want or need to conquer all the challenges kalifornia interstates have to throw at you. Not only am I doing freeway speeds going up hills, there is plenty of engine braking coming down the hills. pyro temp? I've seen 800* at the top of El Cajon pass on a 120* day. boost? at the most 6psi post intercooler at the steepest part of CA395. Water temps are very manageable too, never past the 3/4 mark on the hotest day. Hp and Tq numbers? still no clue. Don't want to know. Roller queens don't do well in real-life situations with regular guys driving the truck.
Yes, I've driven the newest too. Just sold a 2008 dodge 3/4t 4x4 with a Cummins 6.7 when the extended warranty ran out. at 230k/mi, the driver of the truck got a personal thank-you from the Manager of Enterprise rent-a-car due to the fact the truck spent so much time in the dealer for warranty work. Everything around the Cummins long-block was touched at least once.
He's in a F350 4x4 now with a 6.7 with a full maintence and extended warranty package. The damn thing is stupid fast but has braking to back up the stupid fast speeds.
Still, with all this new gadgets, my'92 is still the recovery workhorse for the new iron. go figure. :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good discussion and debate. To answer some of the questions that I can answer now, yes I will be willing to customize to some extent depending on the situation. 300hp is the number I have in mind, but if I feel that reliability would be greatly sacrificed to achieve it, I may back off some. After all, I have to warranty these engines and I don't want anybody to have any problems. I would like to decompress them a little, but finding a cost effective way to do that will be tricky. I will not shave pistons to do it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not know for sure, but I am sure that Mel's goal is to be as smoke free as possible, without sacrificing power. Black smoke is a waste of fuel and money. The newer diesels, and the older ones with some type of fuel control, like the Aneroid for the DB2 help make the most power with the least smoke. I know it is apples to oranges, but my truck (An 03 6.0 PSD) makes no smoke and has plenty of power. Mel will be along again to answer questions but I would assume he is not going to produce something that makes a "smoke show".....

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lingering black diesel smoke can get you in trouble in many states... given that only the original pump calibration met epa mandates for harmful emissions, it's best not to attract attention to modified vehicles since it's also a federal violation to tamper with emissions systems.

"Rolling coal" is primarily caused by considerable overfueling before the turbo or engine have spun up. If anything, it's proof that you're running inefficiently.

However, it can be "fun" if enjoyed selectively by victimizing Prius owners.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. We are planning to have the Hypermax smoke puff limiter as standard equipment on these engines. We sold several of these as options on various Moose Pumps, and I recently had the opportunity to install and test drive a truck with this, and it was actually very nice. You can mash it to the floor and still get some black smoke and not fog the highway, but as the RPM's and the boost builds, you get a real kick in the seat of the pants as it cuts loose with the rest of the available fuel and the exhaust is cleaned up nicely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online