Interior Modification.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
That is a bad ass upholstery job at least they do good work. I'd love to see more pics of the console. Thanks for sharing

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, how did you mount the overhead console?

Someone on Facebook posted a link to a thread where someone discussed their method of mounting it...did you do it this way, or did you find an alternate?

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94-98-7-3l-interior-discussion/533777-f-650-overhead-mod.html

Yea its a little similar to that but the switches made it have to come down a few inches. I cut out some aluminum sheets to match the contour of the roof and the contour of the inside of the overhead console. I glued the console to the aluminum sheets. There's two sheets for each side of the console and one for the front. The front is to keep the angle the same from the switches to the headliner. It doesn't hold anything. I left two small tabs on each of the sides, bent them at a 90, and screwed them onto the roof with some self taping screws. then, for a little added support I used some flush mounted screws on the side of the overhead console because I don't trust glue for the long run haha Then I used foam to make the surface of the console flush with the surface of the aluminum and had it all wrapped in leather.
The only down side to the way I mounted will be taking it down. I would need to take all the pillar trims and the leather headliner down get to it.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impressive! Great work! I would like to do the instrument cluster light mod. Is there a tutorial thread you used or did you figure it out? Could you link me to it if you did? Thank you!

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
I'm jealues of your interior but here's ya idea for back up light there 60 bucks on eBay for the pair and there bright I got 5% on the back and I can see like it's daylight backin up now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impressive! Great work! I would like to do the instrument cluster light mod. Is there a tutorial thread you used or did you figure it out? Could you link me to it if you did? Thank you!

Thanks!

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?43905-Blue-Gauges-in-an-OBS-truck
This is the instructions I used. The only thing is I used acetone instead of brake fluid. Also, I went down and bought some super sharp make up applicators to use. They really help with sharp edges.
If you want red or blue, a lot of people just put super bright leds behind the green and it shines through ok. Im not sure how it looks but its worth looking into. Its a lot of little tedious work to scrap the green off.

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok everyone here are some better pictures I took for everyone. Thanks again for taking the time to check it out.
All the leather still needs to be shined up with some protectant but I think it came out well.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pretty much everything here is new. The bezel, diesel control lights, fuel tank switch, headlight switch, gauge cluster glass, and all the column stuff. Still trying to work out a problem with that thing. Planning on having some labels printed for the head light switch and fuel tank selector.

Its hard to capture these at night. They also blink because the sensor aren't all in.

Il get some more pictures as I go. Thank again everyone

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score

Night pictures are pretty hard to take but il try again sometime

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok everyone here are some better pictures I took for everyone. Thanks again for taking the time to check it out.
All the leather still needs to be shined up with some protectant but I think it came out well.

Pretty much everything here is new. The bezel, diesel control lights, fuel tank switch, headlight switch, gauge cluster glass, and all the column stuff. Still trying to work out a problem with that thing. Planning on having some labels printed for the head light switch and fuel tank selector.

Its hard to capture these at night. They also blink because the sensor aren't all in.

Il get some more pictures as I go. Thank again everyone

Phew... I'm blown away by the leather trim on the roof and the toggles. With the dash all new and armor alled and shiny.... Now I know what it would have been like to hop in my truck when it rolled off the lot. I can smell the new car smell when I look at your pics.... You deserve a couple of these guys for your hard work... :hail:hail:hail;Sweet

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey by the way, does anyone know of a paint I can find that would match the red interior color? I've been trying lmc truck paint but it looks too pink.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm jealues of your interior but here's ya idea for back up light there 60 bucks on eBay for the pair and there bright I got 5% on the back and I can see like it's daylight backin up now

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've never cut into a chrome steel bumper before, and I have a bad spot that's perfect for covering with a trailer wiring socket. Any special tools or procedures here?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I wasn't tryin to hijack neither just seen he said somethin bout backup lights and thought id show mine lol.but we used a torch and a sharpie just mark were ya want and cut.we didn't clean it up any but I'm sure you can lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful overhead console. When I ran my accessories on the roof of my 79 Bronco, I didn't want to cut up the interior so I ran two metal strips fore to aft over the headliner and just mounted to the metal. They stayed up with the help of the trim, so no excess holes. But I REALLY like how all of yours blends right in to the roof. Since I have to redo my headliner, I think your way is the way to go. I like the idea of gauges up there too.