Blue Gauges in an OBS truck

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
Hey guys, i did this write up over ar powerstroke.org so ill share it with you guys too, this works for any 92-97 ford truck and it turns the factory gauge color blue

Hey guys, Im not sure if this has been done before but i remember reading an article that the superdutys can have their gauge cluster color changed by simply changing the color of the bulb. I picked up an extra gauge cluster a few weekends ago and decided to see if i could change the color to blue. It wasn't that hard, just have to be careful with what your doing.

First take the whole dash apart to the point where you can pop the individual gauge panels out, there are 4 total and you have to start from the outside and work your way in, the speedometer being last thing removed.

You must be registered for see images attach

I did the oil and water temp one first since if i messed it up i could try to get a gas one to work.

Next you need to pop the needle off, pull it straight up and away from the gauge, it will pop off with some force so be patient and careful at this part. Once its off try not to spin the gauge motor too much. Make a note of where the needle was pointed when you took it off and try to get it back on later in the same direction.

next take a knife or small screwdriver, you will need to gently pry off the face of the gauge. It is a thin layer of black plastic that you will be able to see. Mine came off relatively easy.

]

next take an exacto knife or in my case i used a screwdriver and scrape back part of the gauge where the light shines through. scape gently and stop scraping once you start to see green as shown in the picture below, take your time on this step as you dont want to scrape too far.

I choose to just hit the green parts and left the red parts alone, if you choose to do this as well make sure you figure out what is what on the back of the gauge since it hard to tell from the back.

Next, i took some brake cleaner and sprayed it on a paper towel. gently massage the brake cleaner over the green parts that got shaved and the green stuff will almost instantly come off. Be careful in this process because it does start to take the black area off as well.

once you got most of the green stuff off( it will not be perfect) allow the brake cleaner to evaporate. Then i took a blue permanent marker and colored in area i just wiped clean. make sure you do a nice even and dark coat with the marker and do 2 or more if necessary. Hold the gauge up to the light to make sure the blue is uniform and dark enough.

Now in the process of using the brake cleaner you may have made a few holes in the black later on the back of the gauge. Simply color these spots in with some black paint or marker and you are good to go.

put the cover back over the gauges and use some gorilla glue or something like that to hold it in place. Put the gauge needle back over the pin.

BEFORE YOU PUT YOUR DASH TOGETHER, put the gauge panels back in then turn the key to on, check to make sure all of the gauges are pointing in the correct place.

Here are some before and after pictures

I did not intend to do my whole cluster, i just wanted to see if it could be done. Im sure there are better things to use than a marker and you could even use different colors. I recommend finding an extra gauge cluster or at least practicing on a Gasser cluster before you cut into the good ones.

Good luck!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Not to nock your thread but all you have to do is put in blue bulbs and it overpowers the green and everything turns blue except for the odometer, which is still green

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
both red and blue, red made it brown almost and the blue messed up the parts of the guage cluster that were orignally red and the yellow part of the diesel tach, this way allows you to keep those parts ;Sweet