Interior Color Change

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to change the dash. Current truck 1989 f350 with red dash, would like to completely re-do the interior and change color to grey. I can get all of the parts from a salvage yard however I'm concerned with how difficult the dash would be to change out. Do the plastic covers on the dash simply unbolt or do you have to remove the entire thing to change colors. I'm aware they make spray paint for plastic however have never had good luck painting plastic, always seems to peel or scratch revealing the original color.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the dash is molded in the color of the rest of the interior and bolt on dash parts. So, yes to change the color from the "pimp daddy" red to grey, the entire dash would have to come out, or be painted/died. I have seen dashes "stripped" in pics on here, and from what I have taken apart to work on "behind the scenes" all the plastic that makes up the dash is the dash color, and there is actually a lot more of that main dashwork that is exposed to be visible than you might think. I've never had a brick dash apart, but I know on the slantnose dash, there is the pad on the top that can be changed, all the plastic around the gauge cluster and the radio/hvac area is removable, and normally black or "woodgrain", and the glove box "door". The rest of the dash color you see, is the main dashwork that is bolted to the firewall......

"Borrowing" this from a member on here that was selling a complete interior on here a few weeks back (sorry it's "pimp daddy" red also, but this is from a 90. Take a look at the complete dash framework at the top of the pic, you can see what all is visible, and only removable by extracting the dash to the firewall, or paint/dye...

Attachments

• brick_dash.JPG
    brick_dash.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 141

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! That looks complex enough to scare most folks from even trying. Thanks for the info.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Need to change the whole dash.
The plastic is riveted onto the frame in some weird places.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! That looks complex enough to scare most folks from even trying. Thanks for the info.
It looks more complex than it is...I've pulled dashes on brick and slant nose trucks. It's not really difficult/complex per se; it's just time-consuming. Just make sure you remember where everything goes, and use bags for the fasteners ;Sweet

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled a dash in the junkyard in like 20 minutes. They aren't that bad. Actually one of the easier dashs I've pulled.

I changed my red dash to tan. I haven't messed with it much so I'm hoping it holds up and doesn't scratch. I am using professional ppg interior paint vs rattle can.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really not that bad. The hardest part is hoping that the 20-30 year old plastic hasn't become so brittle that it turns to dust when you touch it! Go slow and easy and you'll be fine.

strip the dash as much as possible, and wash it several times to get any and all armor-all or whatever off it. The cleaner it is, the better the new paint will stick. Several light coats are better than one heavy coat of paint. Plan on several days for best results. I've seen guys do it in one day, and it always looks like the interior color was changed. The guys who take several days or weeks to patiently repaint and clean stuff, the interior looks factory.

Ryan

DragRag

Reaction score
With all these red interiors being changed to other there should be a glut on nice crew cab bench seats. I'm looking for a bench in Cali if someone has one. Looking for near perfect, so it would likely need to be a rear seat. I love my red interior!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
With all these red interiors being changed to other there should be a glut on nice crew cab bench seats. I'm looking for a bench in Cali if someone has one. Looking for near perfect, so it would likely need to be a rear seat. I love my red interior!

Rear seats is slightly different. No full cloth cover on the back.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why all the hate for the ***** red. I like it myself. If I could have found a good drivers seat in red, I would have kept mine all stock. I just happened across some 2010 gray seats entirely too reasonably priced.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I LOVE the "pimp daddy" red. Have had a few vehicles in the past with that interior color. It is a love or hate kinda thing I have seen. You either love it, or hate it.... I have never heard any in-between opinions......

A couple of those in the past with the red interior were a white exterior, I actually like that color combination. One was a wagon with woodgrain also.... so white exterior with the "woodgrain" panels, and a red interior..... that was an early 70's car... who could imagine..... LOL.... Have seen white exterior and blue interior, not bad either, had that combo also......

oldblue83

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I know it's a different yr model...Time consuming getting it out and I'd recommend putting the replacement colored dash back in the same day before you forget. This was my first time and it was very daunting, but just keep pulling screws until you get it out.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am disappointed in your decision to leave the Order of the Red Interior

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel