intercooler setup/fabrication

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you gotta worry about more fluids and cooling the water too so youd mount another radiator up front or maybe in the bed but in the bed it would need air diverters

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I have a made up system on my 94 turbo. Just starting making parts and found a 900cfm intercooler. and the bands. I have an extra setup war wagon at my place if your looking for it. it takes around an hour or so to install the whole system. system includes pipes, intercooler, bands, and bending pipes. PM me and we can talk a price.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anybody say that the smaller pipes are more responsive than larger ones. Does it matter 2.25 2.5 or 3. I would think the smaller pipes might have less lag than the larger ones, but I don't know from experience.

Since I already have the ATS piece that bolts to the intake I am considering the option of just ordering the rest of it from ATS. Is the ATS cooler setup enough to support possible future mods like moose pump and injectors and waste gate adjusted to push I would guess 15 psi of boost max pulling 20K lbs. I will have a homemade front bumper so I will design it to provide plenty of air flow.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
adding the intercooler and 3" pipes to my truck made the gauge move slower at first, but the power comes on earlier and quicker than before.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I don't think the ATS setup will limit you at all with future mods. I'm running a DPS pump on mine currently, and at the low altitude here in Vegas it doesn't even smoke, and I can't get the EGT's up high enough to worry, even loaded.

Back home in Albuquerque, at 5000' elevation, it'll smoke, but the EGT's are still manageable. I usually tow around 7K lbs, but have also used that setup with a slide-in camper in the bed, and other than increased wind drag, the EGT's were fine, even towing through Red Mountain pass at 11000'. I could was able to manage the EGT then with proper gear selection, but if I lugged the engine, it'd peg the temp. I don't think ANY intercooler would have prevented that, and if anything, the increased surface area of another intercooler may have just blocked airflow to the AC condensor and Radiator.

The nice thing about the ATS kit is that it doesn't block the AC condensor or Radiator excessively, and is a bolt-in kit. Same goes for the Hypermax kits. I opted for a pre-fabbed kit for ease of install. I would not hesitate to fabricate my own kit now that I have the time to fuss with it, but there is something to be said for bolt-in-and-go.

One other thing to note, I noticed a 3-5lb pressure drop after installing the intercooler. Even with my wastegate rod shortened all the way, I can't get the boost on my truck over 12psi, with the Aurora 2000 turbo. I've contemplated cutting the rod to shorten it some and see if I can regain the boost, but all the volume makes me worry about not having headstuds and new gaskets...

Ryan

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It's not an IDI but here is what I'm doing for a cash customer, coverting a non intercooled 91 Dodge to intercooled....Ebay cheapo intercooler and turbo....:rolleyes:.....More work than it was worth to make the I/C fit and the turbo drain clear the wastegate...The I/C was like $100, the 3" mandrel bent exhaust piping, hose and clamps was about $300...Labour is about 6hrs....Just waiting on two 3" 90* silicone elbows to show up so I can finish it off. I completed the welding tonight.

You must be registered for see images attach

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not an IDI but here is what I'm doing for a cash customer, coverting a non intercooled 91 Dodge to intercooled....Ebay cheapo intercooler and turbo....:rolleyes:.....More work than it was worth to make the I/C fit and the turbo drain clear the wastegate...The I/C was like $100, the 3" mandrel bent exhaust piping, hose and clamps was about $300...Labour is about 6hrs....Just waiting on two 3" 90* silicone elbows to show up so I can finish it off. I completed the welding tonight.

QUOTE]

Nice tubing, nice routing, nice clamps: nice work ;Sweet

Report back on how she runs before and after, I am imagining you might lose a little boost initially but I have a feeling you'll probably adjust your wastegate with the ability to run cooler boosted intake charge.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
i have an IC setup for the 7.3 for sale. You just need to buy new bands. Ill take $350 for it. It includes the IC, Pipes to the turbo and snail, radiator bends. The high and low side pipes are from hypermax and are 2 1/4" pipes it is the same as what comes on their system. the IC is a 3" Inlet outlet. and the bends are 2 3/4 almost 3" on the IC side and are 2 1/2 on the pipe side.

Attachments

• IC1.jpg
    IC1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IC2.jpg
    IC2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IC3.jpg
    IC3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 28

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Banks to quiz them about retrofitting there techni-cooler for the power stroke to my IDI. I was told that I did not need and IC and would not benifit from having one. That it was only nessisary at pressures over 15 psi. I replied saying that I knew of cases of over 15 psi and testament that an IC was a benifit. I was then told at those pressures I would blow the freeze plugs out of the block and could not run that much pressure and again that I would recieve no benifit from an IC and that is why Banks doesn't make one. I'm not trying to bash Banks here but a lot of people swear the IC made a noticable diffference and what that guy was telling me for the most part didn't make sence. Blow the freeze plugs out? I felt like he just wanted to get me off the phone and attend to more important topics. I have a hard time believing there is no benifit. Why did ATS and Hypermax make an IC?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called Banks to quiz them about retrofitting there techni-cooler for the power stroke to my IDI. I was told that I did not need and IC and would not benifit from having one. That it was only nessisary at pressures over 15 psi. I replied saying that I knew of cases of over 15 psi and testament that an IC was a benifit. I was then told at those pressures I would blow the freeze plugs out of the block and could not run that much pressure and again that I would recieve no benifit from an IC and that is why Banks doesn't make one. I'm not trying to bash Banks here but a lot of people swear the IC made a noticable diffference and what that guy was telling me for the most part didn't make sence. Blow the freeze plugs out? I felt like he just wanted to get me off the phone and attend to more important topics. I have a hard time believing there is no benifit. Why did ATS and Hypermax make an IC?
the parrothead at Banks is FOS.
I don't know what it will take to convince you other than a workout with my '92. If you really need convincing, get a flight out here and we'll take the truck for a test drive with a loaded 10k trailer hooked to it's ass. that will make a believer out of you. honestly, no ********....I can run I80 from Sacto to Truckee keeping up with traffic and a 10k trailer hooked to the ass of the truck and not have to worry about EGT's. Banks parrothead knows they have no product for our trucks and have no intention of developing one.
bottom line....drink their kooo-aid or ours. trust me...ours taste better:D

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a believer in the IC. A guy that I work with has a 94 idi turbo like mine. He put the ATS IC on his years ago and said it dropped his EGT's 150 degrees. From what Banks told me I kind of what to buy and adapt their technicooler to my pickup just to prove them wrong.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a believer in the IC. A guy that I work with has a 94 idi turbo like mine. He put the ATS IC on his years ago and said it dropped his EGT's 150 degrees. From what Banks told me I kind of what to buy and adapt their technicooler to my pickup just to prove them wrong.
screw Banks.
I wouldn't give them a dime of my money if I can avoid doing so.
your neighbor selling a constructed system for $350 is a better deal and is helping a brother not putting money in Banks pocket.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the people at Banks think they are pretty smart, and just because I talked to one guy on the phone who is obviously uninformed or uneducated or coached to respond to my type of questions the way that he did doesn't mean I feel like need to completely write off the company. I think that they are very pround of their products too. I also think that Banks has done their homework on the products that they sell, and if they were not as good as they claim other companies would be screaming BS and false andvertising. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the constructed system that SIMP5782 is selling or any of the other custom IC setups that people are running. They are testament that an IC does make a difference an is worth intalling on these old 6.9's and 7.3's. But, the more that I research the subject of intercoolers the more I am tempted to spend extra money on what I belive are the very best parts I can buy, and Banks makes some very good points about there product. I also know that they spend a lot of $ on advertising and making there stuff sound very appealing. On the other side of that I think that they spend a lot of time and money on R&D for there products. I know that it would cost a lot more money than needed to put Banks equipment on my old 7.3, but I am curious more that anything about the possible benifits of a technicooler. I am very critcal about the work I do and the work others do on my vehicles maybe even more **** than critical. I am still considering the idea of putting the Banks cooler in my pickup, but just not sure yet if it is worth it. I have posted some very interesting reading material below. I know they are all from Banks but interesting.

http://bankspower.com/galesinsidernews/show/39-Epic-Cooling-101

http://bankspower.com/galesinsidernews/show/41-Being-Dense-Makes-Sense

http://bankspower.com/galesinsidernews/show/43-Air-Densit---The-Key-To-Making-Power

http://bankspower.com/techarticles/show/14-First-Air---Then-Fuel

http://bankspower.com/techarticles/show/31-How-Air-Flows

http://bankspower.com/techarticles/show/37-How-Banks-Power-Works---Its-all-about-Airflow

http://bankspower.com/techarticles/show/1-Why-Big-Density-Makes-a-Big-Difference

http://bankspower.com/products/show/210/41

Last edited:

RedTruck

Reaction score
About 7 years ago I called banks to order a few parts and talk to them about a gasket between the up pipe and the turbo. I talked to a very friendly tech support fellow. He said they had a lot of customers installing homebuilt intercooler systems on the Banks turbo kits. I asked him about turning up the pressure and he basically said he can't recommend that. I assume for legal reasons he was bound to say what he said.

I have a psd intercooler on my rig. I could have gotten by with a smaller one. I do have turbo lag, but I pull heavy loads and once pressure is built up it does a nice job of holding. It does make a difference and I like it very much.

It all comes down to what you can afford or have time for. Without looking at the Banks intercooler I think you’d be paying a lot of money for something that is designed for a different higher cfm engine, and you’ll probably need to do some modifications to make it fit. If you are after a particular look and not completely interested in the best performance gains, then all we can do is offer suggestions. The ATS kit was designed for this engine platform. The pipe sizes, elbows, and intercooler were specifically chosen by engineers for your engine. If you don’t like the looks of the ATS kit…the skies the limit because anything else will require fabrication (unless you purchase a kit from a fellow IDI owner). Start looking at over the road trucks to get some other ideas. The DPS dude used a heavy truck intercooler for his rig.

Good luck! Above all else this thread is worthless without pictures of your newly installed intercooler. Please include installation pictures for us poor ******** that are to busy to pull wrenches on our own rigs.

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online