Intake tube size?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have finally had it with my intake. All the oil that comes through the CDR hose has swollen the boot connecting the air box to the turbo enlarging it so much that I had to wrap about a half inch of electrical tape around the tube end to get it to seal. I went to install my coolant filter today and noticed the boot has slipped out of the clamp. I cant find a new boot at ATS as all they sell for the IDI is transmission parts now. I plan to install a catch can on the CDR line while I get the intake sorted out. I was thinking of using the ATS box and finding a cone filter to fit inside it, obviously some cutting/fabbing to the box will be required to feed a tube through it. I would get a universal coupler, elbow and straight tube to run from the turbo into the box. I figure this way my hypermax cowl setup will still be used as intended. Can I use a tube the same diameter as the turbo opening or do I need something bigger?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The turbo inlet is 2.750, the ats airbox is 3.5 iirc. 3 inch minimum is what I would use. I have yet been able to find a replacement boot for these, Once in a great while IH has one but im thinking its old stock.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Thanks, I will start measuring some of the stuff we have at work and see if I have to order anything.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Thanks for that link, that may come in handy. The turbo is kind of a weird size so I may have to at least outsource the reducer.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I got another question, while looking up tubes and connectors, I came across these in-line air filters that would make the whole setup a bit easier to lay out. The filter states to flow 700cfm, is that enough for one of these motors?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think so, don't remember though. If not you could always make an airbox with pvc and use a conventional filter inside it too. Or run dual inline filters side by side with y-pipes.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel told me to size my intercooler for 600-800 cfm if that helps.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a 3" intake, cone filter, GM 6.5 van CDR. It's got a nipple out instead of just fitting up.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
The turbo inlet is 2.750, the ats airbox is 3.5 iirc. 3 inch minimum is what I would use. I have yet been able to find a replacement boot for these, Once in a great while IH has one but im thinking its old stock.
I used one of siliconeintakes.coms 2.75-3.50 in boots on my ats turbo. It is 3 in long. Ask them if they hav one 4or 5 in long it will work better. I had a hard time getting air box lid to sit correctly, but it did work

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
If I do an open filter, I would want an air box around it. I figure this way I don't have to build a box and I can hook my hypermax cowl kit directly up to it.