INSTALLING GAUGES

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm putting the manual gauges in my 6.9 this weekend. I think on the left head at the front is the temp. sensor. Am I right? If I unplug it the electric gauge goes to "0". And where is the oil sensor? Back of the block?:dunno

gatorman21218

Reaction score
there are 2 coolant sensors. I plugged mine into the factory overheat sensor as to leave the factory gauge running. the overheat sensor is on the drivers side head. yes the oil pressure is at the back of the block on the drivers side. You can buy a brass TEE from the hardware store (its 3/8NPT IIRC) so both your factory and aftermarket gauge will work.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temp. sensor was easy. Used the overheat like you did. I'm hoping to find another port for oil. That looks like it could be a pain with the turbo there. When I finished temp. gauge the factory gauge seemed to work again. Starting to make sense now. I think the sensor was bad. I didn't know there were two sensors.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suppose to be a couple of oil gallery plugs right under the oil cooler. I want to move mine there and put the factory sender back on the turbo.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
put a "T" on the turbo oil fitting and run both from there.

I don't like the idea of hanging the extra weight on and farther out from the turbo housing. From what I have read,(Dave S on FTE)you will also get more accurate numbers from the oil gallery locations. I'll find out when I get my butt in gear and start on the pyro probe install, high idle switch, and move the oil line. Just need to get started.;Really

gatorman21218

Reaction score
there is a 1/2NPT plug on the oil filter housing where I have my oil temp located. While im not certain that this is pressurized, it never hurts to check it out.

Are you using electric gauges or mechanical? If mechanical I would definitely use the copper tubing in lieu of the nylon and would highly recommend installing ball valves at the oil port. That way if something did happen you could cut off the valve and still drive the truck home.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
there is a 1/2NPT plug on the oil filter housing where I have my oil temp located. While im not certain that this is pressurized, it never hurts to check it out.

Are you using electric gauges or mechanical? If mechanical I would definitely use the copper tubing in lieu of the nylon and would highly recommend installing ball valves at the oil port. That way if something did happen you could cut off the valve and still drive the truck home.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm mechanical. Electric is easier but I think mechanical is more accurate. I would rather go straight to port if possible. Don't want to mess with turbo line if I can keep from it. I HATED to drill holes in this dash but I hid the holes pretty good. I'm not gonna use the amp gauge so I'll have oil,temp, and boost in the pod. May get a pyro later. Then for the stacks!! I told my daughter if she doesn't get me some pics on here I'm gonna spend her inheritance. LOL!! She doesn't know I already have!!

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you using electric gauges or mechanical?

Mechanical with copper line.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I really should use copper if I can find it. One little hole could be a mess or a disaster. Can I get copper 1/8" at Advanced or Autozone?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no need to touch any of the factory senders to add gauges. Remember, the heads are reverse mirrored, and so is the block up top. There are 4 places to tap oil presure. If you have a 7.3, then you have a water port available diametrically opposed to the one for the cold idle/advance temp sensor. This spot has the 6.9 glow plug controller in it on a 6.9. The heater core hose connection at the passenger side head will reveal an identical spot on the drivers head that is unused. Also the high temp sensor location on the drivers head will reveal to you the spot on the passenger side head near the rear that is available. I've made use of all of these ports on the Moose Truck. I stay away from the ones on the oil cooler, since these will be the coolest locations.

You must be registered for see images

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AGNEM, thanks a million for that info. You just made this project MUCH easier!! Now for some copper line and I'm all set. Thanks jonathan. I'll try azone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online