INSTALLING GAUGES

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Mel, is there any other 1/2NPT port for oil temp I can tap into? Mine is now at the oil filter and is post-cooler so it reads only 180 when I'm really working her.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gatorman, azone and advanced are ok for some things but for important parts I'm with you;NAPA or even the dealer. Nothing more irritating than replacing a "new" part because they gave me a bad one or wrong one.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Mel, is there any other 1/2NPT port for oil temp I can tap into? Mine is now at the oil filter and is post-cooler so it reads only 180 when I'm really working her.

That's the only port that big for tapping into the oil stream Now you can get a sender that is a straight threaded plug with a washer that would thread up into the drain plug and give you teh temp in teh pan but I promise you , that reading would give you heart failure. The oil temp returning to teh pan when pulling before teh cooler on long pulls can get real high.but really the location where you have your probe is telling you what you need. so long as the temp is dropping down to the proper range after cooling, you are in good shape

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my gauges done today. Tied oil pressure into turbo Removed sending unit and put there. Problem was at idle "0" pressure at gauge. Open throttle "25". So I teed into oil line= same thing. I think the turbo getting the pressure is giving the false reading. So I know the turbo is getting pressure,which is good. Just not the results I wanted so I'm gonna change it again. Oh yea, I kept the sending unit and gauge installed so I still have an operational gauge. Just wanted to let anyone who was thinking of doing this how it worked { or didn't work rather } for me. I may try the oil cooler port next.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my gauges done today. Problem is oil pressure gauge. I removed sending unit from turbo and used that. Gauge showed "0" at idle and only "25" full throttle. So I teed into turbo oil line= same result. I think the turbo is getting most of the pressure giving the false reading. So I know the turbo is getting good pressure,that's good. Just wanted to let anyone know who was thinking of doing this how it worked { or didn't work rather } for me. I still have the factory gauge working. I may try the oil cooler port next. I'll keep everyone posted.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Most turbo installations tap the oil pressure gauge off teh turbo feed spot. If you are getting a 0 reading there, either you have a near dead sending unit ( if factory, most likely) or badly worn turbo bearings ( to the point where I'd be getting worried)
Off the top of my head, you only need around 7 psi at hot idle, it's hard for an electric sender to register that little.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RLDSL, that's what stumps me. The electric unit reads higher than the mechanical. Factory gauge is slow but reads normal. I teed into turbo line BEFORE the turbo. Unless the line on top of the housing they made the return line. The elec. unit is mounted on the side of the housing. I would think the bottom line is the return. Scratching my head.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RLDSL, you're right about 7 psi. That's all it takes to lube the engine at idle. Scary,but true.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RLDSL, that's what stumps me. The electric unit reads higher than the mechanical. Factory gauge is slow but reads normal. I teed into turbo line BEFORE the turbo. Unless the line on top of the housing they made the return line. The elec. unit is mounted on the side of the housing. I would think the bottom line is the return. Scratching my head.

Yes, that's where most are, right before the turbo, but if your turbo bearings are bad, it will let oil slobber out the end of the line and relieve pressure from the system, kind of like letting your thumb off the end of the garden hose, ****, there goes all the pressure in the line . If there is too much clearance between the shaft and the turbo bearings the oil has nothing to make it have to squeeze through and it just pours through instead

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger