Installed my BB turbo last night!

imelmo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed my Garret BB turbo last night. Man, I would've bought that thing for the sound alone! It sounds like a friggin' fighter jet! It spools up MUCH faster too. I knew it would spool faster, but didn't know it would be by that much. Seems to be running about 50 - 100 degrees cooler egt's.

Removal of the original turbo was really easy. Needed help when installing the new one, but that was mostly to help get everything positioned right so I could get the clamps seated correctly. Had to fight with the intake boots a couple of times because they kept getting folded under when I would try and put the x-section pipe back in place, but other than that it was pretty easy.

I think my mileage is gonna go way down though, because I like the sound of hearing it spool up so much!

imelmo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jlayne said:
cool i'm gonna get a BB one of these days, what did your boost numbers do?

They only went up a few psi, the most I saw was about 26 or 27. I imagine that will change though when I get some bigger injectors.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I saw your an early 99 ... so is my truck...

Did you just buy all the parts seperatly or a kit from a sponsor?

If you don't mind me asking what was the cost to get it all..?

I would love to do that to my truck.

imelmo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dieselmaster said:
I saw your an early 99 ... so is my truck...

Did you just buy all the parts seperatly or a kit from a sponsor?

If you don't mind me asking what was the cost to get it all..?

I would love to do that to my truck.

Actually I put the turbo and stuff on my '02; the '99 has Banks stuff on it. I bought the exhaust, chip, intake, and gauges at once from Diesel Innovations and the total cost (including them installing it) was $2400. The Banks stuff on my '99 (not including the exhaust brake) was over $2000 just for the parts as I remember. Labor made it over $3000. :eek: I should also add that there's a night and day difference in performance between the '99 w/ Banks stuff and the '02 w/ DI stuff even when I turn the DI chip down to 40hp (the Banks is supposed to be 80hp).

The rest of the stuff on my '02 I got on my last trip to DI and was $2000 installed (except for the turbo). Give them a call; they have great products, are really knowledgeable, and are good people. It would be a LOT cheaper than going the Banks route (and it gives you a LOT more power).

The turbo was $1675 from a local vendor. I got it from them instead of DI only because we have an account at work with the vendor and they sold it to me for pretty well the same price as DI.