Installation question

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Tomorrow is the day I am putting in my motor, I plan on attaching the transmission and putting it in whole, I think it would be easier. The main concern is installing the motor with the turbo attached, will this all go in with the turbo attached?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think you'll have room with the turbo. Id rather take it off than chance damaging it. Maybe if you took the core support off you could get it in there with the trans attached

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I do have my front clip off. I do really hope I can get the motor in with the turbo on, because it is a PITA with the motor already in.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Lift the cab up 4 inches and it will fine fine. Just the firewall end of the cab needs to go up. Others will chime in with what needs to unbolted for the cab to lift up. Then slide some 4 inch wood blocks and its that easy... Wanna do this on an 06 or up Ford oe duramax... Then the cab needs to come off the truck.....:eek::D I found the lifting tools listed on ebay several times too... Thats way too much work owning one of the newer trucks....LOL

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait on someone that has done it to chime in, I don't see why you will need to lift the cab, if you have the clip off.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well I got it in, without the turbo. Also had to take the top part off the transmission for the shifter, and it went right in. Gotta find new piece of flex for my downpipe, hopefully it will slide in with ease. Got most things hooked up already except for the starter, and gotta sit the front clip on and finish hooking up wiring to hope it starts.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I got it all in and FINALLY got it running after a few charges of the batteries. Can someone get me a picture of how you have your starter solinoid hooked up? I want to make sure mine is right.

Had a few problems, someone, not mentioning any names forgot to hook up the fuel return line to the back of the block.

Had to bang on the starter to get it going.

Gotta work on my Glowplugs now, I believe my solinoid there went bad because there not working at all, that or my wires are crossed, the light will come on but there is no change in voltage, and it will go off.

mahatma171

Reaction score
At least you got her in AND running. I wish I was that far along with my project. I gotta get busy tomorrow...

Make sure you check your voltage at the plugs. If that is good you can check each plug's continuity with a test light, clip the wire to a positive supply and touch the tip of each plug. If it lights, you know its a good one. I know the controller assembly is available now at Autozone and other places pretty cheap now (well, compared to what they used to be!)

If I wander down to the old IDI tomorrow I'll be sure to take a pic of the starter solenoid or at least look at it good enough to describe it since I don't remember for squat how the wires look on it. Sounds like you might need a starter though.... I got lucky once and had mine repaired for less than $50.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online