Inside tire wear on Dana 60

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Whose got ideas on what could cause the driver side of a 1994 Dana 60 front axle to have extra tire wear? I currently have some cheapie 5 rib, open tread block design tire on my truck but I am getting new ones within the month so I want to try and address this. It is very noticeable if I pull onto gravel from pavement slowly. That inside row of tread blocks doesn't even get dusty (not even contacting the gravel) because it is worn more. The wear is even but it is noticeably wearing more on the one line of tread blocks on the inside.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is the tire I currently have. (this is not my actual tire, just a photo of the tread design)

This is what I'll be putting on.

So what could be wearing just one side? I'm leaning towards a component rather than an alignment issue since it is indeed just one side. Shocks or Ball joint?

Thanks!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've never understood how a shock can cause weird tire wear, not that it can't happen, I just don't get it.
But yeah, sounds like ballpoint.
Check to see if that side is worn.
Also Check to see if the camber bushing thing is different from the passenger side.
This thing.

If you want to do them yourself, here's a good writeup. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52186&showall=1

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
A shock will allow the tire to cup by allowing the tire to bounce down the road causing a cupping action on the tire .. feathering also can happen ..

The issue can be ball joint or toe adjustment ..

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say it's not so. A dana 60 that has bad tire wear? I thought only the ttb's could have bad tire wear? :)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
inside edge wear on a tire is mainly caused from excessive toe-out on a D60. you have to be really worm out for camber to be an issue.

jhenegh

Reaction score
I'll check the toe first. Some other web reading was leading me to that conclusion as well. The dana 60 was in fine shape when I threw it under around 4500 miles ago, and in those 4500 miles this wear has been pretty minor, and included a good bit of snowplowing. But then again I don't expect much "road" tire wear while pushing at 5-15MPH in 4x4 on a slippery surface either.

Heres how she sits. Backed into this spot

Attachments

• photo 1 (5).JPG
    photo 1 (5).JPG
    964.9 KB · Views: 19
  • photo 2 (5).jpg
    photo 2 (5).jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 25

jhenegh

Reaction score
Revival!

Still getting slight wear on inside of driver side tire. I did get new tires a few weeks after this 2014 start date, and it has taken a long time for any abnormal wear to be evident.

I can't feel or see any play in the ball joints. Even after pounding the knuckles out they seem tight as can be, even borderline stiff. I currently have the axle torn down to the knuckles for inner diff seals.... so if I want to do ball joints, I suppose now is the time?

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?76364-Greaseable-or-sealed-ball-joints

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb question... but did you have it aligned when you replaced the rubber? Driveway alignments will only get you so close.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeeing u got BJ diff you probably should get it alligned at a shop...that dials camber caster and toe into spec.

My KP 60 is only toe in

My right side tyre is weraing **** bizzare too but eh...I got bigger issues that are in all likelyhood causing it...bad lower bearing or worn upper plastic bushing on that side is my guess.

Keep us apprised I like learning az folkz fix stuff...

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup... alignment shop can shim it if necessary. I would take it to a GOOD alignment shop and not only will they align it, they will check everything over before they do and let you know if something needs to be addressed.

If you had it aligned before, I'd venture to say you have a ball joint that has a very slight amount of play in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.