innercooler piping.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Can I come along too?

I am waiting on the snowstorm to start..... 3" to 9" is what they are saying. At least I will get to play with the tractors!!!!

I hear that! All day ive been working on getting the plow on my jeep fixed before tomorrow, they're saying 10" here in ohio tomorrow, the drive way back to the garage I work in is longer than a football field LOL

have fun with the tractors! gotta enjoy this kinda weather any way you can!

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have said this several times on here, that I put off adding the intercooler to my truck, because it seemed like being soo big would add turbo lag (6.0 cooler and tubing). What a waste of time. The difference in my truck was flat stupid, and this was with a pretty lazy non wastegated turbo. Power comes on quicker and way bigger than before. I would be shocked if one of those ricer intercoolers worked as good as this setup.:dunno

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have said this several times on here, that I put off adding the intercooler to my truck, because it seemed like being soo big would add turbo lag (6.0 cooler and tubing). What a waste of time. The difference in my truck was flat stupid, and this was with a pretty lazy non wastegated turbo. Power comes on quicker and way bigger than before. I would be shocked if one of those ricer intercoolers worked as good as this setup.:dunno

it sounds as if you had your fuel up too much pre-intercooler install.too much fuel for what you can burn,then adding any cooler to get the proper air/fuel mix back to normal (colder air = more dense/more air) is going to feel like a major improvement.
the question is,if you installed less pipe and cooler,would the results have been the same,and perhaps even quicker spool without such a large cooler?
(id guess yes,but it's more than likely going to be hard to convince you of that at this point.)

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have had fuel, timing, and injectors all over the map on this thing, before and after intercooler install. The thing that blew me away most, is how much power it added well before the boost gauge showed any boost. Even lugging along at idle had more power. I dont have another intercooled IDI to compare against, I suppose I could dyno it, but it really isnt the wot, that was drastically improved.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stupid question time.
is there an IN and an OUT on these smaller innercoolers?
from what i can tell, it does not matter, it can be mounted anyway you want it...
figgured id ask before i mounted this bad boy.

You must be registered for see images attach

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should flip it over so that the cooler gets mounted up higher and gets full airflow.you want this to have max efficiency.down there would help,but not come close to keeping EGT's as low as if you mounted it in the open behind the grill.
iv got my aux trans and engine cooler mounted down there,but they don't need to shed the heat a turbo makes.you want your air to be as cold as you can get it.down there isn't what your after.

attachment.php

^that's how ya want it.;Sweet

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stupid question time.
is there an IN and an OUT on these smaller innercoolers?
from what i can tell, it does not matter, it can be mounted anyway you want it...
figgured id ask before i mounted this bad boy.

You must be registered for see images attach

What inter cooler is that? The same one linked by F250hd?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
final mounting is in the 6 door thread....
sorry for making yall jump from thread to thread, but i wanted to address a specific item, and shes donzo!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did u end up flipping the intercooler so you have more area up top?
I havent even looked what cfm the 6.0 cooler i have uses, i just read one thread that 7.3 psd guys like 6.0 coolers and i had em near me for 70 bucks so i jumped on it lol. Mine mounts quite low though, just how it is with the piping on it and the radiator. I can make speed hole sin my future buymper but my winch will be blocking them (like your winch).
Too stoked to try it out in a few days. I really like the blakc intercooler you have.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the blakc intercooler you have.

They can be painted with radiator paint (oil filled househould type radiators) or any flat black. Did it to the SRT-4 with a massive aftermarket intercooler with zero change between ambient and charge air temp differences, even on drag runs. Rock chips may ding it up a bit... use black gutter guard mesh behind the grille to protect it.
You must be registered for see images