innercooler piping.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
something a bit more matched for our sized turbos;
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...winder-Into-9th-Gen-Truck&p=833458#post833458

this is extreme for showing my point;
seal up a 55 gallon drum and make a quarter sized hole and blow into the drum to pressurize it.
now take a gallon jug or 2 liter soda bottle and blow into it to pressurize it.

which one do you think is going to be easiest on ya and which could you pressurize first? obviously you couldn't even pressurize the far extreme of a 55 gallon drum in the first example and im not saying that 3" pipe and a massive 6.uh oh after cooler would be so extreme as that..........but if the gallon jug scenario was all you needed to keep your charged air cooled back down to close to ambient temps,wouldn't you then rather have the quick and snappy fast spooling,easier to pressurize system,rather than one that blocks off a lot of radiator and drops it's efficiency needlessly? do you really want to make your turbo work so hard as that?

if we could have our cake and eat it too,the turbo wouldn't heat up the air and we wouldn't need intercoolers,no matter how much fuel we added.but unfortunately that's exhaust spinning the wheel,which in turns spins the other and that heat gets transferred so the more fuel we add,the higher the levels get.....but to what extent does it take to properly cool it back down to where it was before the turbo warmed it up? does it take so much volume as 3" pipe and a 6.oh no cooler? i don't think so,or i would have pulled what i built and install that.i don't see over 900 EGT's very often.when i do,that's usually with the truck and dump trailer full of green wood @ WOT and max gross rating of the truck.

chip truck @ 14 lbs boost peaks.
what an awesome analogy!
THANK YOU! you should have put that on the top of your thread, so f'n rookies like me can actually learn a thing or 2!!!
i am a hard headed individual, and sometimes, i need someone to give me that "youre a moron" look to make me see the light.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Intercoolers are sized based on engine speed and displacement. I talked to Mel about this a good while back. You need a 650-750 cfm intercooler. That's in the ballpark of a small block but we aren't turning 7000 rpm. That's why the mustang size intercoolers work. Bigger than you need will just give you more volume to pressurize and cause lag as described above.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
I've been looking into a charge air cooler for my new truck and laserjock is spot on on the sizing. Mel knows his S#$$. The compression of the charge air causes most of the heating, the same process that gets our trucks running. Heating lowers charge air density(think hot air balloon) so less oxygen is available at a given pressure, that is where a CAC comes in increasing charge air density and thereby increasing Oxygen concentration per cf. Which means you can turn up that fuel and burn it efficiently so less afterburning of fuel in the exhaust manifold= lower egt. You can run up egt's without a turbo by just turning up the IP or restricting air flow, anytime a diesel engine is running too rich a mixture you are at risk of high egt. I think that pile of parts on the bay will give you plenty of 90's and boots for you project idiot. Makes me more motivated than ever to get my millermatic 250 up and running again. Good luck man.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i win the auction, the piping will be going up forsale (you know how i like to sell things here), i just want the boots and the clamps.
if theres no reason other than price to run either Ss or aluminum, ill be running stainless.
i can TIG stainless pretty good, i SUCK at aluminum.
and im not going to attempt to better my skills on thin walled tubing lol

FordGuy100

Reaction score
60-1 wheel (Russ's turbo mod)

You must be registered for see images attach

6.0 Powerstroke Compressor map

As you can see, flow in lb/min (cfm) is roughly the same between them. The only difference is the 6.0 has a map that goes higher up the pressure ratio scale, which means it is more efficient at higher boost pressures. But they flow the same amount.

6.0 Intercooler should be perfectly fine.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ is about to do mine. i hope to get it to him next week...
dont know if we are going to do his mod, or a WW2,
theres a WW2 on the way to him, we will talk about it after he gets my parts in and has time to look at it/and or time to B.S. with me.
lucky guy is camping, and im stuck trying to install a starter in a 69 dodge R/T with a 440 and nice ceramic headers..
all ive been able to bring myself to do to it this morning is look at it and contiplate sober suicide.(get hammered)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no sir, but this one is... as far as the doors, i coouldnt find any to weld lol
im gonna go play hookie now.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Can I come along too?

I am waiting on the snowstorm to start..... 3" to 9" is what they are saying. At least I will get to play with the tractors!!!!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think you would care for the "aroma" out there, but youre more than welcome to!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7