Inner shifter boot suckage

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So on my zf5 I thought my inner shifter bushings must be bad because I could get a bit of side to side play in the shifter in gear. I bought the two little plastic bushings only to find mine still in ok shape. The new ones helped some but it wasn't a giant improvement. I noticed on this picture I found online though:

You must be registered for see images attach

The metal piece with the rods on both shifters in the top right in this picture have a tiny amount of side to side play on the metal part that goes through the shifter on my truck not the part that gets the plastic pieces.. but what's weird is my boot doesn't look like any I'm finding.

Mine is square and does not go down into the large hole on the top plate you gotta take off like in the above picture. And I don't have whatever metal piece is sitting in the boot in the picture either.

If I shove a sponge in the hole the boot doesn't go into my shifter is perfect but that sponge is somehow gonna end up in my transmission if I leave it there and I tried to wedge my square boot in the hole but 3 or 4 shifts and it wiggled out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle