injectors

hardestpartisusername

Reaction score
I have an 85 6.9 with a banks turbo I need new injectors but don't wanna get stock, I was wondering what kind I should get, I also wanna be able to turn my IP up a little more but don't wanna ruin the injectors

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the IDI world but... I don't think turning up your pump will ruin your injectors. But what you will need to look out for is exhaust temp. From what I've read running a turbo actually cools down exhaust temps and turning up the pump adds more fuel and that raises the exhaust temp. I'm sure that some of the more experienced guys will chime in on this.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my stock pump maxed out on the fuel screw and a set of g codes from r&d. My egts haven't gotten any higher than 1100 degrees, and you gotta push it pretty hard to get them that high.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Before you turn up the fuel setting please tell us you have a pyro on the exhaust. If you don't you will never know if the exhaust is so hot it melts the pistons. Now as for turning up the fuel and ruining a set of injectors.. Nope, that can't happen. A new set of injectors may ruin an older worn injection pump but if the pump has 125,000 miles or more on it then its close to worn out. The forum knows of 2 sellers of modified injectors. Mel who is a member her owns Conestoga Diesel in Pa. What he builds and sells is the top of the line for idi parts hands down. This forum recognises the work Jason at R&D for what he has done for the idi qorld. He is friends with some of the members here. He has an attitude but knows how to build idi parts. Now thinking you might beat the cost and buy from a lowball seller on ebay is going to get you in trouble. Please.. Before buying anything please read the Hall of Shame forum. Learn who the ebay sellers are to avoid. Now something about all the 6.9 and 7.3 engines. Every one of them can run any idi injector fine. If you find a BB code or a G code. They will run fine but.. The Bb codes run better and give mor hp and fuel economy. I ran G coes for a long time and tried the Bb codes and will never run a G code again. My last set of G codes had around 5000 miles on them so they were concidered new and not worn out. I mention this because we had a member try to tell me I replaced a worn out set of G codes for a new set of Bb codes and that why my engine ran so much better...:eek:cookoo So in closing I suggest reading all you can before you decide on buying anything. Ask questions too. Someone is always ready to help.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info there Gary.
Just wanted to point it his name is Justin not Jason over at R&D.

Hate for the OP to go looking for the wrong guy haha

hardestpartisusername

Reaction score
thanks, and yea I do have a pyro on my exhaust. would be better for me just to get a new IP and injectors since I have 190,000 miles on it

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
SAd that I forgot Justins name.. Must get better brain activity going here... Yes, With that amount of miles your best bet is new injectors and a rebuilt injection pump. Before you remove the injectors or injection pump find out how its done. Removing the pump with the gears and housing still attached is the wrong way but its the simple way of doing it. I call that the wrecking yard way. Some tools are needed to replace the pump and injectors too. The 3 drive bolts behind the front cover on the gear housing are a 12 point 5/16 hex. they are specially heat treated bolts and require a 25 lb torque setting. They are the same bolt the rear universal joint has. Nappa sells a u joint repair kit that has these bolts in it in case you loose one or ruin one of the pump drive bolts.. The injection pump will need to be timed when it replaced too. Those timing marks on the pump and housing don't mean anything after the original pump has been replaced. Every injection pump is timinged differently and wont be as the same a s the one you remove no matter what.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle