Injectors leaking, which return line kit?

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems my injectors are leaking pretty bad now, about half of them are always wet. plus i can smell diesel fuel when i have my heater going. I was looking at return line kits, and it looks like there are 2 different caps. my engine is an 89'. I was looking to get a return line kit from here http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?...s_Accessories&_odkw=7.3+injector&_osacat=6030

Could anyone help me with which one I should get? And is it hard to put on?

Also i had to get towed the other day, the fuel line going from my lift pump(im assuming) to my filter broke. It turns out one of the bolts that was holding the pump in was missing, and it was just shaking the line until it broke. Could this have been a cause of an oil leak, where there was a gap there? I got a new bolt for that side and had to cut a gasket for it.

Thanks!

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SEARCH,,, cleverly,,, my friend, cause you are now a brother.

Last edited:

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i just wanted to make sure i got the right caps, i see the one that says 89-94. but I didnt know if maybe halfway through 89 they switched.idk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to see if the caps have centered barbs , early or offset, late. 89 is a quistionable split year. and with engine changes anything is possible, that is why I ask for a type before I sell a kit.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way i could take a picture and post it on here, could somebody tell?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Order from Russ (typ4). I just got done installing his kit on my truck (months after I received it thinking I needed it urgently...) and it's WAAAAY nicer than the crap I took off.

The last set was a low-budget kit that was included with a pump/injector combo I purchased(Long story...). Every cap cracked and the hoses started to leak within 2 years of the install. The kit from Russ is the proper offset caps and much nicer German made hose. Worth the money to buy from someone who knows *** he's doing!

Ryan

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
If there is a steel, dedicated line on top of the intake for the ip return, it is the early style. If the ip goes to the return caps on the drivers side, it is the late style.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Order from Russ (typ4). The last set was a low-budget kit that was included with a pump/injector combo I purchased(Long story...). Every cap cracked and the hoses started to leak within 2 years of the install. Ryan

I didn't see anything wrong with my original caps, so I re-used them. So I dodged the inferior cap deal and didn't know it, and they are still running leak free. I just went to Napa and got a 5' piece of fuel line, and went to tractor supply and got the o-rings. No problems so far and it's been a year and a half.

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our local napa here has the orings. The drawer they are in is marked 6.9 and 7.3 so they don't even have to look them up. I needed some in fairbanks last year and none of the parts houses including napa knew anything about them, International had them though for under 3 dollars.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ sells vitom o-rings... So you know that wont leak.... Ever... I bought two of his late 7.3 kits... I hav an early 89 7.3....-cuss But I have two spare kits now and I will be converting over to the larger return line kits....

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my kit from Dieselman and it is made by Dipaco. Seems to be of high quality and no problems for the 3 months I've had it on for. Think I could have gotten a cheaper one but I wanted one that would last as long as the original did.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still dont know what to look for, can anybody help me with these pics?

Attachments

• cap1.jpg
    cap1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 11
  • cap2.jpg
    cap2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 20