Injector return lines leaking - missing the line damper, possible cause?

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm leaking diesel out of my return lines, quite bad I might add.. It makes it start hard, and misfire upon startup.
I have a replacement return line kit already.. however I'm missing the injector line damper (the bracket that holds the hardlines together) on the left bank of the engine..
Is it possible that could be the cause of the leak? Is there any place that sells those fuel line brackets?
It's only leaking on that side also btw.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the dampers. PM me you can have one or a couple, for the charge of shipping, should get to you in a day or 2. If you can't make them fit at least get some fuel hose around them where the clamp should be and zip tie them together as tight as you can. It's the vibration that makes the hard lines break. That wouldn't cause your return line problem. What does cause it is that they are cheap...junk I tell you. Had the same thing happen to mine on Tuesday after I had to change a glow plug. Not even a year on mine and already the hose is as hard as a brick. I guess they aren't too biodiesel ready after all eh? I need to borrow towcat's trick and use the AN hose on the returns as he does for the his multi fuel customers. That is what that blue hose you posted is right Calvin?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You can find the clamps in any wrecking yard that has a 6.9 or 7.3. These fuel systems need two clamps per side. Don't think you can get away with out running them. The steel lines will break from the fuel pulse vibrations. I found all this out the hard way and it cost me almost $400.00 for one line....:eek: Don't try to install the short bolts that come with these clamps. But longer bolts at 3/4 inch longe. I found that a small needle nose pair of vice grips will hold the clamp closed till I can get the nut and bolt tight. I usually put some tape around the closed end of the 7/16 wrench to hold the nut inplace. Then screw the bolt down thru everything. This job takes some thinking to do and an extra pair of very small hands are nice to have. So I use vice grips....:sly

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought someone said on here that if your fuel injector is bad, compression can get up in the injector and cause the return line cap to overheat or leak?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is true. The compression will back up in the injector if the pintle hangs open. It has melted the plastic return line caps before too.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm Great advice guys, I'll definetely check to see if thats the case.

Diesel JD, I think I might need 3.. I believe I only saw 1 on the right side.. I'll take as many as you can ship to me!

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I just tack-welded the nuts to the line clamps. Squeeze the two clamp halves together with needle-nose pliers and install the bolt. It makes life easier, especially with a van.

Of course, being an aircraft guy, I also bead-blasted them and coated em with zinc-epoxy polyamide primer. Ain't gonna have no rust on my vehicles.;Sweet;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online